Playa de Gueirua

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Thu May 12, 2016 2:21 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 17 posts | 
Playa de Gueirua - Asturias, Spain
a7R Mk II, 35mm, ISO 100, 13s, f/11, ND 1.8 + CPL

I just returned very late last night from a wonderful week of photography with Alister Benn along the Asturias coast of northern Spain.  While there I also had the pleasure of shooting with Jose Fernandez Garcia, whose images from this region here on NSN inspired me to go there.  Best viewed on a darker background by clicking on the photo.

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by Luzestelar on Fri May 13, 2016 1:48 am
Luzestelar
Forum Contributor
I love the foggy atmosphere of this vision. A pleasure shooting with you EJ, I hope there are more opportunities
Jose Fernandez
Web: http://josefernandezgarcia.com

by Pedro da Costa on Fri May 13, 2016 2:38 am
Pedro da Costa
Forum Contributor
Member #:02133
Wonderful composition and a beautiful place.

by pleverington on Fri May 13, 2016 7:50 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
It's ridiculous EJ...How dare you prostitute nature in such a perverse way. This belongs in digital  creations and you  know  it....

This image is a total lie........Don't you realize what an example you set for others???
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by pleverington on Fri May 13, 2016 8:01 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
The more I look at this image the more pissed off I get. What happened to you Ej?? This image is pure junk... How dare you trash nature for your own ego....

Total disappointment in you...Post  the raw if you dare....

And you know what? Your cover image the same....junk.....

What happened to you???
Paul Leverington

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 13, 2016 8:58 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
pleverington wrote:It's ridiculous EJ...How dare you prostitute nature in such a perverse way. This belongs in digital  creations and you  know  it....

This image is a total lie........Don't you realize what an example you set for others???
pleverington wrote:The more I look at this image the more pissed off I get. What happened to you Ej?? This image is pure junk... How dare you trash nature for your own ego....

Total disappointment in you...Post  the raw if you dare....

And you know what? Your cover image the same....junk.....

What happened to you???
Ah, OK, so you were there with me in Spain and Scotland....

Trashing nature with my own ego, what does that mean?

What device and which browser are you viewing images in?

You made similar comments, although in a somewhat more respectful tone, on other images from this location posted by other photographers so perhaps it's the place, not the processing, coupled with a device that is not color managed.  For example when I look at this on a non color managed browser like on the iPad or in a non managed browser on a PC like Internet Explorer it does look overly saturated but on a managed browser like Firefox or Chrome, it only looks slightly more saturated than real life. 

While I shouldn't have to justify myself to you, here is the RAW (no picture style applied since C1 ignores those). Note that parts of it are considerably brighter, mainly the sky, since I expose as far to the right as possible in camera to maintain the maximum dynamic range and then pull things back down to what it looked like in post.  It's a technique called ETTR or Expose to the right.  The posted image is also cropped a bit from the original RAW below.

by pleverington on Fri May 13, 2016 10:06 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Well now doesn't that raw just look a little bit more believable than the final version posted. But still, too contrasty and over saturated....How am I to know anything for real from whatever is posted however......

Here's the bottom line...at least for me...the image looks fake...juiced up to a ridiculous point...and no matter what you claim its' not a real depiction of reality...so...i can not relate so the image fails and falls dead as thousands of other juiced images do.. Kapish??

Now does that mean a thing to you or do you think I am the only guy that looks at this image and says ho-hum another photoshop fake?? Does that have any meaning or worth to you at all??

It looks totally fake to my eyes and those are eyes that have seen lots.... This image, as well as all the others like it , will mean nothing in the long run. You literally took a beautiful scene and turned it into pure cheap junk. And no my monitors, all 3 of them, are calibrated. That's my opinion of your image, not you personally. I have endless respect for you understand ...

But your image here, even though the subject is unbelievable and wonderful, has been represented in such a false way as to be absurd.....

As an artist and nature lover a complete fail I feel....

* The raw EJ is much better than your adulterated version by far, yet seems to suffer from a lack of DR for some reason out of camera. Way too much contrast IOWs. Now fault the camera Ok , but as an artist, you failed in getting things right as you could have with proper HDR done better. All this Is supposition on my part, but it's true as far as the final product as I see it....

By the way you, as we all do, have an ego...

The raw, again, is so much better than your posted version.....Why do you, as well as others, think you need to juice it up so far beyond reality??

I would remind you and all that people in their primordial minds, programmed and hardwired for millions of years to recognize how nature looks, are not going to buy into PS crap...Does that have any ring of truth to you EJ??
Paul Leverington

by E.J. Peiker on Fri May 13, 2016 10:17 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
pleverington wrote:Post  the raw if you dare....
pleverington wrote:....How am I to know anything for real from whatever is posted however......
It's a screen capture of the unedited RAW file in C1 Pro - exactly what you asked for...  Not sure what else I can provide for you or why I am even providing that since it is my image and I can do with it whatever I want and am perfectly OK if you don't like it.

I think simply saying that to your eyes the image looks oversaturated and too contrasty rather than attacking the individual and using inflammatory words like "kapish" and "prostitute" and "junk" and "crap" etc...  You have the right to your opinion and the right to hate photos that are posted but attacking individuals and making derogatory comments to people who you don't even know is not OK.

RAW files shot with a flat picture profile look much flatter than realty, especially when using ETTR to capture the maximum amount of data, that's why we process them to begin with rather than just capture in JPEG and post.  Now you may like that flatter appearance and that's fine, say that, rather than attacking those individuals that post them.

by Keith Bozeman on Fri May 13, 2016 11:45 pm
Keith Bozeman
Forum Contributor
I really like all the assortments of colors in this photo.

by Eia on Sat May 14, 2016 6:13 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Beautiful....ominous with color. Glad to see you brought out the color. It's there...if we take time to see.
~AnnaMaria~

by Jerry Merrell on Sun May 15, 2016 8:49 am
Jerry Merrell
Lifetime Member
Member #:00210
Wonderful image EJ.

I for one like the way you processed this image.

Jerry
Jerry Merrell

by Carol Clarke on Sun May 15, 2016 9:20 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
There is so much to enjoy in this amazing image E.J. and I applaud your capture of nature's wonderful colour palette with the different elements of this stunning composition!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Mark Picard on Sun May 15, 2016 12:08 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote: The raw, again, is so much better than your posted version.....Why  do you, as  well as others,  think you need to juice it up so  far beyond  reality??

I would remind you and all that people in their primordial minds, programmed and hardwired for millions of years to recognize how nature looks,  are not going to buy into PS crap...Does that have any ring of truth to you EJ??
Since when is this forum a "Forensics" forum? Why do you insist on making it look just like what you saw (and who can really do that anyway?)? Imagine going on a trip like that and then coming home and trying to process your images "exactly" like you "saw" them! That's just ridiculous in my opinion. We're working with  cameras that sees the world in 1s and 0s that then converts those numbers to very small square pixels of millions of possible color combinations, and you want them to be "exactly" as you THINK you remember them to be? Good luck with that one! What's wrong with tweaking an image to make it more pleasing to the eye, even if is not "as you saw it"? I agree with you that some images I've seen were definitely taken too far in several different directions, and when I too see one like that I don't like them either, but that's my own viewpoint, . We have a right to our own opinions for sure, but getting cynical from the get go can lead you to think that everyone "juices" up their images too far for your tastes. Photography is an art form which by it's very nature, allows for creativity. I guess the bottom line is that if you don't like someone's work, don't look at it!  :)
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Gary Briney on Sun May 15, 2016 9:22 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Stunning image EJ -- I love the contrast of the wet rock and little waterfall.
G. Briney

by Peter Ireland on Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
Amazing colours and a feast for the eyes!

by John Labrenz on Wed May 18, 2016 12:30 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Amazing!!!....dreamy, pretty.
I too hope to visit this area one day.

by Jeff Munoz on Sat May 28, 2016 7:16 pm
Jeff Munoz
Forum Contributor
Member #:01802
My very favorite, love the light, composition, colors, love everything!!!
Jeff Muñoz - Live the unique Photography Expeditions to Costa Rica with http://rainforestphototours.com

17 posts |