View from Bright Angel Lodge

Posted by westskies on Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
This was my first attempt at doing a (somewhat) planned HDR Panorama.  The image was taken using a Canon 7D Mark II with 24-70mm lens @ 28mm and f8.0 on Manual.  The image is a composition of 21 separate images with +/- 2 stops in the capture.    I used a Really Right Stuff pano gimbal head for the composition, but guessed at the nodal point location for the lens, as I had not determined it prior to arriving.

The processing was done in Lightroom and with Nik Software.  I first created three panorama images within Lightroom as the source images for the HDR, then used Nik's HDR software to combine the images, and from there cleaned up a little of the grain with their Dfine noise reduction software.

In all I am satisfied with the effort, but I would love your feedback on what you would recommend that I do differently and what issues you see with the image.
Steven Lewis
[url=http://www.westskies.com]www.westskies.com[/url]

Posted by:
westskies
Forum Contributor

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:05 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
A little on the small side to fully appreciate. For my taste, I prefer a natural sky rather than one that has been significantly darkened across the top. It would be really cool to see this full size given the number of pixels that you captured. The detail must be incredible.

by John Labrenz on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:34 pm
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Looks awesome from what I can see....but I wish it was larger to fully appreciate the details.

by westskies on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:58 am
westskies
Forum Contributor
Here is a link to the original file:

Full Size Image

I did add some vignetting in HDR Effects, so that did darken the sky up.  Thanks for looking, I know that when you zoom in extremely tight, I found some ghosting, may need to play with that a bit yet.
Steven Lewis
[url=http://www.westskies.com]www.westskies.com[/url]

by johnfr80504 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:47 pm
johnfr80504
Forum Contributor
Steven -- Good job for your first attempt at HDR Panorama. My only comment is that the upper portion of the sky seems really dark. Don't know if you intentionally applied a vignette or or maybe a graduated filter. You mentioned that you have some ghosting. If it is in the clouds that is difficult to avoid due to their movement. If it is in the stationary objects It is most likely due to not having your nodal point quite right.

Your processing flow will work OK for the small # of images (21) you had here. You may find that if you attempt greater numbers of images you will need to do the HDR processing first and then stitch the processed HDR images. Most of the HDR programs such as Nik's, Oloneo Photo Engine & etc. will choke on larger file sizes. I specialize in very large stitched panoramas many consisting of 100's of bracketed images. I use Oloneo Photo Engine for the HDR processing because it has a batch processing capability. I then stitch using Autopano Giga because Lightroom and/or Photoshop doesn't handle high numbers of images well, especially if there are multiple rows and columns.  

I am in the process of putting together a workshop on this very topic. While I haven't finalized it and made it live on my website, I have a draft online at http://www.abbascreationsphotography.com/Workshop.htm
John Freeman
Abba's Creations Photography
Capturing God's Creation in Fine Art Photography
Longmont, CO 80504
303-485-9437
www.abbascreationsphotography.com
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-freeman/11/298/a6a/

5 posts |