Clements Mtn & Snow Field, Glacier NP

Posted by Ken Cravillion on Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:35 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
John Zinn and I hiked way above Logan Pass just below Clements Mtn. to this area with some neat lakes and this large snow field in our way back. HERE is John way ahead of me.

Pentax 645NII, 35mm, Fuji V100F, Tripod
Ken Cravillion

Posted by:
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072

by John Zinn on Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:44 pm
John Zinn
Forum Contributor
Nice shot Ken!! I like the ribbon of snow coming down from above that ties into the larger snowfield in the foreground. The vertical format does a good job of emphasizing the height of the peak and while some may say lose some of the snow at the bottom, I feel it really is needed to preserve the overall scale of the image.

Hey, I like that one with me in it too. It really shows off the size of that field. We were hiking for a while!

BTW, in this shot, I climbed all the way up to the left side of the notch on Mt. Clements before finding out that there wasn't any good way up to the top from the NE approach. Still, I had the feeling of almost being on top of the world!

John

P.S. In case anyone asks, those lines across the snow aren't from Ken pulling his gear across on a sled!! They are melt lines in the snow.

by Rich S on Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:07 pm
Rich S
Lifetime Member
Member #:00019
Serpentine ribbon of snow and the perspective of looking up are really strong elements. Only wish those two tracks in the snow weren't there. Might want to crop to take them out, but it would cost a bit of the perspective of height.

Rich

by Ken Cravillion on Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:30 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
As John said, those are not tracks. They are a natural feature of the snow up there.
Ken Cravillion

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Those are stress cracks from melting, contracting, freeze drying etc and they are cool as is this shot. this would rock due to the snow texture in B&W using the channel mixer with a strong red channel.

by Anders on Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:34 am
Anders
Lifetime Member
Member #:00156
This is very nice! I like the simple shapes and the basic colors. I agree with Rich on the 'tracks' though, even if they are natural.

Nice shot!

Anders

by Harvey Edelman on Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:20 am
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
Sweet image! I can see that those are stress marks and not tracks. There's what apears to be just a bit of vignetting.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Dan Baumbach on Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:38 pm
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor
Very nice.

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

by Jenny Ellerbe on Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:29 pm
Jenny Ellerbe
Forum Contributor
I like the way the ribbon of snow runs through the frame, the texture of the foreground, and the angle of the mountains in the background. It really gives a sense of height.
Jenny Ellerbe
Louisiana
http://www.jennyellerbe.com

9 posts |