Gates Pass, Who's Right?

Posted by Dan Baumbach on Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:42 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
My wife thinks this is one of my best images. I like it but I wish the flowers in the front were more prominent and the center of the image is too empty. Who's right? I don't claim to be the best judge of my images and I'm always disappointed when I look at this one because I remember what I was trying to accomplish.

Shen-Hao 4x5
75mm Nikkor SW f/4.5 @ f/22 (35mm equivelent, 22mm)
2 Stop Hard Grad and 3 Stop Soft Grad
Velvia

- Dan.
Dan Baumbach
http://www.timelesslight.com
NSN 0069

Posted by:
Dan Baumbach
Forum Contributor

by robert hasty on Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:52 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
I do like it Dan, but i agree with you on the center being more prominent though, also the shrubs to the left are a tad distracting for me. Just one mans opinion :wink: nice light!!

robert..........
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I think its an excellent image but every image can be improved and your suggestion on this one would be an improvement.

by Ken Cravillion on Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:18 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
You've got some nice light but there really isn't a bit center of interest in it.
Ken Cravillion

by Harvey Edelman on Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:54 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
This appears a bit too busy for me. I can't reallyy find something to latch on to.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Lori Kincaid on Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:50 pm
Lori Kincaid
Forum Contributor
I think there's a lesson in this image. Your wife (not a photographer, I assume?) sees it as one of your best, but photographers are bothered by its not adhering to compositional guidelines (emphasize the foreground to lend depth to wide angle images, use a lower angle to limit less interesting middle grounds, don't have too many elements in the scene, etc.). Looking at the whole here, I see lovely cool colors in the foreground and a rocky path leading me to the sunlit peaks. The perspective looks quite natural, as if I were there. It isn't dramatic, but it does have a definite sense of place. It invites me in and strikes a chord. I like it very much and wonder if we as photographers are missing the point of the story by checking the grammar. Just food for thought. (Thank you, George.)

Lori

by Tim Grams on Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:42 am
Tim Grams
Lifetime Member
Member #:00164
Its certainly a very nice scene with good elements. But I'd have to say I've seen quite a few other photos of yours, particularly some of the coastal scenes, that are much more appealing to me.
Tim
http://timgramsphotography.com

7 posts |