Motif-Cardon and Baja scape

Posted by stevebein on Thu Sep 11, 2003 3:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
This is an example of what can be done with a fish eye. This is before I bought a digital and I got the full fisheye effect. The sky does what I call compress, like with a convex mirror and seems more intense. There were nice clouds and it was early , but not sunrise. If I remember coprrectly this was along the road to San Ignacio Lagoon where the grey whales calve.
IT was a fantastic time and wonderful trip. We did use Lillian's honda CRV and I drove it as if it were my larger 4 wheel with lockers. Subsequently, when I decided to drive to the side of the road (read that soft sand), the front wheels burried and we were stuck. Within a few monutes several people tried to pull us out unsuccessfully. Then a large motor home with strong rope, just hooked up to us and backed up. We were out shortly. Next time with large tires and my vehicle which can deal with soft sand if the tire pressure is dropped. There was a reason why I chose to cut into the right side of the cardon cactus and not move to the right. Perhaps the rattlesnake next to me,or something else interfering.
Anyway, this scene grabbed me and I had the 16mm fisheye.
Nikon F5, 16mm f2.8 fisheye,, velvia, I think.
My only concern is the curve of the cardon in the foreground. IF I knew Photoshop better, I might be able to straighten it out, but as of now, I have to leave it as is.
Steve Bein
drbein@aol.com

Posted by:
stevebein
Lifetime Member
Member #:00137

by Harvey Edelman on Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:48 pm
Harvey Edelman
Forum Contributor
The fish eye make for an interesting and nice effect. The border of the frame is a lot more subdued than the other photo which is a bit better to me. colors might be a bit oversaturated ut that's a personal taste. I like the general composition and the fish eye effect which IMO adds interest but isn't overbearing.
Harvey Edelman
http://www.harveyedelman.com

by Ken Cravillion on Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:42 pm
Ken Cravillion
Forum Contributor
Member #:00072
Cool shot. It almost looks nonfisheyeish. You could say that the cactus curved like that.
Ken Cravillion

by robert hasty on Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:55 pm
robert hasty
Forum Contributor
Steve, i think this works perfectly as is, nice image!! If interested, the image liquify filter is pretty handy when done right. But like i said, as is works for me perfect!!

robert.......
Robert Hasty
NSN0075

[size=75]
[i] There is a path which no fowl knoweth, and which the vulture's eye hath not seen:[/i][/size]

by Kerry on Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:07 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
This is great. I really like the saturated look to this one, and the composition works very well. The curving cactus provides the eye with a fine entree into the rest of the scene.

--Kerry

by Michael Brown on Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:32 pm
Michael Brown
Forum Contributor
Very different, very appealing, nice comp, detail, and more.
I just like the feel with this one Steve, but do wish that the crop wasn't so tight on the right. Then again you might have not been able to move more to the right.

Looks fine to me!! :)
[b]Michael Brown
NSN 0056[/b]

[url=http://www.macroartinnature.com/]"Macro Art In Nature" - Website[/url]

by Lillian Roberts on Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:49 pm
Lillian Roberts
Forum Contributor
Neat one Steve! Can't recall whether I've seen it before but I like revisiting that trip in these pictures. I really like the effect and think the curling cactus enhances it if anything. I wonder if turning a titch to the right would have included the entire cactus while eliminating some of the less-interesting stuff on the far left?

Lillian

by Attila on Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:51 pm
Attila
Forum Contributor
Yes, yes, I do miss my fisheye since shooting with the 10D. Very nice comp on this one, excellent image.
[url=http://kibo-studio.com][b]Attila Kirják - kibo-studio.com[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.photo.net/photodb/user?user_id=154080]A 100 photographs...[/url]

by thapamd on Thu Sep 11, 2003 10:26 pm
thapamd
Regional Moderator
Member #:00084
Super shot, Steve! I love be bend of the cactus...and look at those colors!
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap, but memories are priceless.

Mahesh (NSN 0084)

http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

by Eric Fredine on Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:00 pm
Eric Fredine
Forum Contributor
Pretty cool Steve.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:58 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Very cool - its rare to see an outdoor photo taken with a full frame fish-eye that is this effective!

11 posts |