Red throated diver (Gavia stellata)

Posted by Swissblad on Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:31 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
This trip to Scandinavia really was focussed on birds...especially those breeding in the icy northern environment. Unfortunately, we didn’t have much luck getting close enough to any divers to get any decent photos. We found this red throated  diver or red throated loon in US/Canada, on a frozen lake high in the mountainous fjell in the Varanger peninsula. As it was so distant, I tried to take a photo showing the bird in its frozen environment.
I enhanced the icy feel, adding a cold blue tint with Nik ColorEfex. Additional touches were made in PS.

Nikon D500 with Nikkor 500mm f5.6PF.

PS. While travelling through the Pasvik area, on the border with Russia, we were thrilled to hear the weird call of this bird makes during mating season - eerie and unreal: https://youtu.be/Mf7qfg0ljfo

Last edited by Swissblad on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted by:
Swissblad
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:55 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Remarkable sighting, composition and sympathetic treatment. Nicely done and thought out.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:03 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I love your thinking with this one and its minimalist feel, and yes, their call is quite haunting in its beauty.  Is it just an optical illusion, or is the image tilted subtly down to the right?  I keep wanting to give this frame a slight CCW rotation to level it with those highlights on the water/ice surface. :? 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:03 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Nice idea to show the harsh environment here-sure looks formidable! This long arrows of ice seem to be darts aimed at the bird. Might look good as a pano with a top crop too. Agree with Carol...want to straighten. But the idea is well conveyed.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Swissblad on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:17 pm
Swissblad
Forum Contributor
Carol Clarke wrote:I love your thinking with this one and its minimalist feel, and yes, their call is quite haunting in its beauty.  Is it just an optical illusion, or is the image tilted subtly down to the right?  I keep wanting to give this frame a slight CCW rotation to level it with those highlights on the water/ice surface. :? 

Carol.
thanks all for the kind comments - and - well spotted Carol - looks much better straightened ;)

5 posts |