Northern Cardinal

Posted by Gene Gwin on Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:18 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Photo of a Male Northern Cardinal photographed at the Laguna Seca Ranch in deep South Texas.  Posted this image without the background blacked out in the Birds section a couple of weeks ago.  Played around with the new Lightroom options and thought this image was more "dramatic."  Curious what you think about the image presented with the blacked out background.  Don't worry, you can't hurt my feelings.

Looks better viewed large.

1/3200
f/6.3
ISO 800 

Posted by:
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:12 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Gene Gwin wrote:
Photo of a Male Northern Cardinal photographed at the Laguna Seca Ranch in deep South Texas.  Posted this image without the background blacked out in the Birds section a couple of weeks ago.  Played around with the new Lightroom options and thought this image was more "dramatic."  Curious what you think about the image presented with the blacked out background.  Don't worry, you can't hurt my feelings.

Looks better viewed large.

1/3200
f/6.3
ISO 800 

Tricky one Gene.

Cannot fail to like this.  Liked the former image also, so for me a matter of taste.  My own taste leans towards your first image.  

Former Image
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by ADKShooter on Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:14 pm
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
I normally side with being able to see the environmental background. I went back and looked at your prior image of this cardinal which I think is terrific for the diagonal element of the shot. However, in this case I think I like the dark background, because the natural background was a bit too busy to accentuate the dynamic look of the bird. Your style of images normally tend towards more very soft OOF backgrounds so except for being dark this fits your style. Either way, a very nice shot.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:30 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I like the drama of this-I would not compare the two as they have such different intentions. The black background is a very nice artistic approach. I could see altering the cardinal slightly as well, with some other application like Topaz, just for fun. But this works for me "as is".
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Mary Brun on Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:17 pm
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Definitely dramatic image compared to the first version.
Perhaps, but only for my personal taste, I would have created some shadows or fades in the black background
to give a touch of depth and a touch of naturalness that would go well with the subject so magnificent in itself and in its action.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Carol Clarke on Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:36 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I love both - the original because it is a beautiful action capture in natural habitat, and this one for its dramatic makeover, Gene! The two are not to be compared as they stand alone in their own right so beautifully IMO. This one with its vivid colours would make a glorious print pattern on black silk, or velvet - either as a repeat run of material, or a stand alone print on maybe, a cushion/pillow? Either way, stunning!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by John Labrenz on Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:08 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
I did not see the original but I really like this one!

7 posts |