Light in Motion #1

Posted by Jens Peermann on Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:56 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
This needs a little explaining.
I had bolted a camera to the dashboard to take pictures while driving, using a wireless remote attached to the steering wheel to trigger the shutter. Got some interesting shots that way, particularly in inclement weather.

Of course I did that during the day time; at least initially. Eventually I started pressing the remote at night as well, just for kicks and to see what results. Most of those results were plain garbage. But some images were pleasing compositions of lines, shapes and colors.

The keeper rate of this process is poor; about 1 out of 50, perhaps even worse. But those few keepers are actually very powerful images that trigger curiosity and stimulate the imagination. And since I have an estimated few thousand of those exposures, there might be a good number of frames worth a closer look. So I started a series named "Light in Motion".

Just for kicks…
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

Posted by:
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:08 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Like it Jens! Great thinking and great fun. The red tail lights are in the perfect position.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:37 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
What a fun idea , and this works well-the red tail lights definitely do the trick. You must have a clean windshield! What camera did you use?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Mary Brun on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:04 am
Mary Brun
Forum Contributor
Yes, I definitely like it very much. A valid experiment that is worth investigating.
The luminous lines are very pleasant to observe and their sinuous course leads the eye to discover what may be at the bottom.
Mary
Mary Brun photography - "Trees are the support of the sky, if we cut them down, the firmament will fall over us" - Indios legend 

by Jens Peermann on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:05 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:What a fun idea , and this works well-the red tail lights definitely do the trick. You must have a clean windshield! What camera did you use?
The camera is a Sony A7r2 with a 28-70mm kit lens. Clean windshield is actually not all that important. With the lens focused on infinity it doesn't register the dead bugs that are only a foot in front of it. And whatever might still be visible under normal conditions gets smudged out by the vibration of the vehicle, the same force that creates those wiggles in the lines of light.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:19 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Jens Peermann wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:What a fun idea , and this works well-the red tail lights definitely do the trick. You must have a clean windshield! What camera did you use?
The camera is a Sony A7r2 with a 28-70mm kit lens. Clean windshield is actually not all that important. With the lens focused on infinity it doesn't register the dead bugs that are only a foot in front of it. And whatever might still be visible under normal conditions gets smudged out by the vibration of the vehicle, the same force that creates those wiggles in the lines of light.
Hmmm- very interesting. Thanks for the explanation!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:13 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Nice use of the curve in the road to maximise the effect of the coloured tail lights, Jens!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by John Labrenz on Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:11 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
I have tried these....your keeper rate is about 10X better than mine lol
This one worked out nicely though....right on the curve and perfect red tail lights in the distance!

by Peter Ireland on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:21 am
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
Great idea and nicely executed, Jens. It was well worth it, even though you only had a few keepers.

9 posts |