Northern Cardinal

Posted by Gene Gwin on Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:19 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
Photo taken at the Laguna Seca Ranch in deep South Texas.  Previously posted in the Bird's section and reworked in Lightroom.  Don't know much about digital art so I thought I'd give it a shot.  Kept the head sharp while trying to "mystify" the remainder of the image.  I'd appreciate your opinion and any suggestions you might have for improvement.  Thanks....

Posted by:
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor

by david fletcher on Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:11 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Striking image Gene. Good start. (starting from an already excellent shot being a good way to go). Thereafter, the fun starts.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by ADKShooter on Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:58 am
ADKShooter
Forum Contributor
Member #:02167
Although my (in the minority) taste tends towards a more traditional look, I like your work on this shot very much. I think your choice of keeping the head untouched made the overall image more interesting.

by Carol Clarke on Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:54 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
You're on to a winner from the start with such vibrant colours, Gene.  Add to that the dynamic pose, and the almost hypnotic stare of the cardinal which draws you right in and you have a very compelling image as a start.  The effects you have added remind me of Japanese fine art painting on fine porcelain - I have four plates done like this, which I am very fond of, so I find your first attempt a success!  Well done!

When I am working on a digital artwork, I always follow my instincts until it feels right to me.  You will never please everybody as appreciation of art is so subjective, so please yourself!  :) 

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:16 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
I like this very much, Gene! So glad you decided to give this a try- it works beautifully. I would have to echo Carol's comments- the pose and composition are already there and the treatment really makes it into a lovely work of art. The soft surrounds and glowing colors are especially pleasing. I have no suggestions for improvement except to encourage you to do more like this. :)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Gene Gwin on Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:30 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Thanks everone for your opinions/critiques. I really appreciate your thoughts about a subject that I have limited knowlede. Thanks also for the EP--I think a bit lucky on my part.

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:33 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Gene Gwin wrote:Thanks everone for your opinions/critiques.  I really appreciate your thoughts about a subject that I have limited knowlede.  Thanks also for the EP--I think a bit lucky on my part.
Not lucky, Gene. Well deserved, I think!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by John Labrenz on Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:21 am
John Labrenz
Member #:01304
Love this...well done!

8 posts |