Painting Zabriskie

Posted by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
Death Valley - California

Thought I'd give this shot that I originally posted in Landscapes form Death Valley a paint treatment...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=280901

Posted by:
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:23 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Beautiful treatment of an already abstract-like photo- I love how the colors and shapes are softened and blended, and more subtle texture added. The yellowish area top right almost looks like a little tree. This is really exceptional- I'd love to see it on a huge wall. . In fact, the original should be seen as well. Do you ever have show of your work?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:40 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
This is a beautiful abstract, EJ, with very nice textures, but I am partial to your original image. An excellent abstract in its own right, the original has such wonderful color and detail that I feel it is compelling. And, like Cindy, I believe it would make a wonderful large print. While the painted version is lovely, it lacks the degree of color and detail that I find so compelling in the original.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:20 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Beautiful treatment of an already abstract-like photo- I love how the colors and shapes are softened and blended, and more subtle texture added. The yellowish area top right almost looks like a little tree. This is really exceptional- I'd love to see it on a huge wall. . In fact, the original should be seen as well. Do you ever have show of your work?
You see it here everyday ;)

Yes I have had gallery shows but not in the USA. 

by cwdavis on Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:06 am
cwdavis
Forum Contributor
It is really interesting to flip back & forth between this image, and EJ's original.  Neither one is 'better' than the other, to my eye.  My bias, though, would favor this 'painted' one as the process softened the higher, almost harsh, contrast of the original, allowing the colors to emerge more effectively.  

Thanks for offering the opportunity for an interesting comparison, EJ!
C William Davis
Chapel Hill, NC

Last edited by cwdavis on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Carol Clarke on Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:34 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
A lovely, softer version of your stunning original that I loved! A choice to complement the mood of the moment. Do we want subtle and dreamy..... or sharper and defined....... the mood will dictate! I love them both.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

6 posts |