Pronghorn Doe with Newborn Fawn

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
A Pronghorn doe with a newborn fawn I had the privilege of watching during birth near Roswell, NM. She had a second fawn shortly after this.
Nikon F5, 500 f4, TC 14B, film and data unavailable, as this scan was done years ago. Imported to Samsung Galaxy s8 and converted with MIX app using "Cartoon" filter. The result reminds me of a style of painting very common to the Southwest US.
All C&C welcome. Please click on image. Thanks.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:58 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A very nice painterly feel, Joe. Agree about a style common to the Southwest. And the fawn and doe make great subjects.

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:43 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
This is a sweet subject-style well simulated though I am not as fond of this particular look. Makes the doe look a bit emaciated or something, to my eye. Each to their own, I guess.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:01 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:............though I am not as fond of this particular look. Makes the doe look a bit emaciated or something, to my eye.
I agree, but this is a style that was used here, especially in wood carving and some paintings of wildlife and native scenes. If you go to this link and, then, click on images, you will see some examples of Andy Anderson’s carvings.

Andy Anderson Carvings

And Bud O’dell’s:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bud+o%27dell,+wood+carver&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Thank you both for your comments and input.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:08 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:............though I am not as fond of this particular look. Makes the doe look a bit emaciated or something, to my eye.
I agree, but this is a style that was used here, especially in wood carving and some paintings of wildlife and native scenes. If you go to this link and, then, click on images, you will see some examples of Andy Anderson’s carvings.

Andy Anderson Carvings

And Bud O’dell’s:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bud+o%27dell,+wood+carver&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Thank you both for your comments and input.

Joe
Thanks for the links. I can certainly appreciate the resemblance better, to these works. 
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Carol Clarke on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:23 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I can't quite get my head round this one, Joe. It is obviously a very nice capture of a tender moment between doe and newborn fawn but the treatment has resulted in a rather harsh and gaunt look, especially to the doe, that I find rather unsettling. Her sunken flesh and dark, lifeless eye speak more of near death, rather than new life. If this was depicting the results of prolonged drought and a fight for survival, then it would definitely portray that message to me. It is certainly a very evocative image, and I can only say what I see.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks for your comments and input. Living in one of the primary art capitals of the US, I have had to learn to be open minded about what constitutes art. What passes for art here is beyond most peoples’ wildest imaginations. If you review some of the images I have posted in this P&DA gallery, you will see how there are a great variety of styles represented. I try to be open to many styles and certainly understand why some just don’t appeal to many people. For me, it’s all just experimental and I enjoy listening to all feedback. It gives me a good feel for others likes and dislikes. I always value your honest opinions without holding back. Anything less than your honesty would not be helpful, so, please, keep up the great input. Thanks. It’s much appreciated.

Joe

7 posts |