A Pod of Pelicans

Posted by Ron Day on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
I processed my photograph of these pelicans with Topaz Impression II and Topaz Textures II. How many pelicans do you see?
Nikon FX, Nikkor 500mm + 1.7X, f/8 @ 1/500, ISO 800, Gitzo Tripod, Wimberley II Head, Boat Blind.
 Please click on image to view it full. size. Thank you.

Posted by:
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819

by MalcolmBenn on Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:32 pm
MalcolmBenn
Forum Contributor
Wonderful presentation Ron, the textures are well chosen and as for the count, I see 7 beaks.
Malcolm Benn

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8357466@N03/

by Ron Day on Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:41 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
MalcolmBenn wrote:Wonderful presentation Ron, the textures are well chosen and as for the count, I see 7 beaks.
Thanks, Malcolm. Seven beaks is correct   :)

by LynnS on Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:34 pm
LynnS
Forum Contributor
Ron, the textures and renderings you have created, resembles for me, Monet's woman with a parasol-type painting.  The Pelican grouping is quite pleasing and they look very relaxed.  Love the delicious creamy white feather textures (looks edible :)) and the long gold beaks create a nice strong contrast to the more neutral colors.  Very much enjoyed!
Lynn

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:32 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
What an entertaining bunch! Just love the textures you used here- so feathery/fluffy, and so congruous with the background. The contrasting orange beaks top it all off. I gotta wonder what they are doing, which is part of the fun of the picture- they look like they are in a tangle!

Great stuff!!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:33 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
LynnS wrote:Ron, the textures and renderings you have created, resembles for me, Monet's woman with a parasol-type painting.  The Pelican grouping is quite pleasing and they look very relaxed.  Love the delicious creamy white feather textures (looks edible :)) and the long gold beaks create a nice strong contrast to the more neutral colors.  Very much enjoyed!
Lynn, thank you. I was shooting for an impressionistic style, so any similarity to Monet’s Woman with Parasol is wonderful. Your ability to sense the pelicans were relaxed says a lot about your skills as an avian photographer. And the decision to color the beaks was, as you note, to add contrast to the scene. So your input is right on and very much appreciated.  :)

by Ron Day on Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:49 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Cynthia Crawford wrote:What an entertaining bunch!  Just love the textures you used here- so feathery/fluffy, and so congruous with the background. The contrasting orange beaks top it all off. I gotta wonder what they are doing, which is part of the fun of the picture- they look like they are in a tangle!

Great stuff!!
Thank you, Cindy. Glad you like the colored beaks. The image was made just after sunset, so I think the pelicans were preparing to roost. The texture for the feathers was achieved with multiple tweaks in Topaz Impression. Your comments and input are greatly appreciated. :)

by Carol Clarke on Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:23 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
This is a wonderful addition to your collection of Pelican artworks, Ron!  You have a real empathy with these enigmatic subjects and your chosen technique is absolutely perfect for these fascinating birds.  If I wore a hat, I would take it off to you!  8) 

Love it!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ron Day on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:58 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Carol Clarke wrote:This is a wonderful addition to your collection of Pelican artworks, Ron!  You have a real empathy with these enigmatic subjects and your chosen technique is absolutely perfect for these fascinating birds.  If I wore a hat, I would take it off to you!  8) 

Love it!

Carol.
Carol, thank you. I'm so pleased you liked the technique and the image. I always look forward to your very insightful comments – they are greatly appreciated.  8)

by david fletcher on Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:06 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
this is just outrageously brilliant and enjoyable Ron. A perfect compliment to an already divine series. Thanks for these beauties Ron.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Paul Rossi on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:16 pm
Paul Rossi
Forum Contributor
You chose a perfect image for doing an impressionistic rendering. Looks great.
Paul Rossi personal website: https://paulrossibirds.com/
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/beautifulbirdseup/

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Big congratulations on your EP, Ron-very much deserved!! :)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:24 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Dave and Paul, thank you very much for the kind words. Your input is greatly appreciated.

by Ron Day on Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:28 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Big congratulations on your EP, Ron-very much deserved!!  :)
Thank you, Cindy and NatureScapes for the EP. It is an honor, and greatly appreciated.

by himadri roy on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:16 am
himadri roy
Forum Contributor
Member #:02163
Class work done here , Congratulation Sir.

15 posts |