A Mum.

Posted by SMB on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
Focus stack and processed with Topaz Impressions and Glow.
Nikon D810, 70-180 macro lens.
Stan

Posted by:
SMB
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:50 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
This is gorgeous! Love the brilliant colors against a black background. It has such a crisp clean look-so very pleasing. For something like this I think a square crop with the flower centered might look good too, since there is no stem to anchor it. I'm really OK with it this way too, though. Nice work!!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SMB on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:12 pm
SMB
Forum Contributor
Thanks Cynthia. I'm smiling b/c I made both crops and posted the off center one. Something about the bigger pedal on the right bottom made me post the off center one. 
Stan

Last edited by SMB on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Square works really well. Great suggestion, Cindy. Color contrast is nice and detail is even better.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by cwdavis on Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:20 pm
cwdavis
Forum Contributor
Stan,
Beautiful image!  

For those of us with no first-hand experience with Topaz software, though, it would be interesting to see the original photo.  Would you mind obliging us in a reply?

Many thanks if you do; no problem here if you're uncomfortable and choose not to,
Bill
C William Davis
Chapel Hill, NC

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:05 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
SMB wrote:
Thanks Cynthia. I'm smiling b/c I made both crops and posted the off center one. Something about the bigger pedal on the right bottom made me post the off center one. 
This looks great too, Stan- I see what you mean about the big petal-it is tricky to balance. I do like this version better though. The big petal has weight at the bottom where, in my estimation, it seems to feel right.  Of course anything goes (almost) in P&DA, depending on your taste and preferences. You can even :shock: change the size of the petals though some would call it cheating and others would call it artistic license. :wink: .
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Stan, this such a delightful image — one you can be proud of. The vibrant color is striking. I like space for the subject within the frame. Thus, I prefer your original, off-center image. Great work with the Topaz software!

by SMB on Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:25 pm
SMB
Forum Contributor
cwdavis wrote:Stan,
Beautiful image!  

For those of us with no first-hand experience with Topaz software, though, it would be interesting to see the original photo.  Would you mind obliging us in a reply?

Many thanks if you do; no problem here if you're uncomfortable and choose not to,
Bill

I use Topaz Glow and Intensify as Plug-INs to LR. There are many presets that you can use as a starting point but what I like is the Opacity slider in both that allows you greatly taper down any effect that you use. So most of the processing is done in LR and then I just "play" in Topaz until I get something I like.
Attached is the RAW (sized for NS) image before anything was done.
Stan

by Carol Clarke on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:45 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Both images work well for me, Stan. The original shot was good quality to begin with, and the enriched colour and 'glow' take the bloom to the next level, especially against the dark background. Beautifully done and what a gorgeous print this would make!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by cwdavis on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:41 am
cwdavis
Forum Contributor
SMB wrote:
cwdavis wrote:Stan,
Beautiful image!  

Bill

I use Topaz Glow and Intensify as Plug-INs to LR. There are many presets that you can use as a starting point but what I like is the Opacity slider in both that allows you greatly taper down any effect that you use. So most of the processing is done in LR and then I just "play" in Topaz until I get something I like.
Attached is the RAW (sized for NS) image before anything was done.
Wow, what a difference between the beginning image and end product!  The software does much more than I would have guessed.

Many thanks for accommodating the request, Stan,
The comparison was educational.
Bill
C William Davis
Chapel Hill, NC

10 posts |