The King

Posted by Ron Day on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:42 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
My tribute to the King, during his last days, using PS and Topaz software. Please click on image to view in shadowbox. Thanks. 

Posted by:
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:44 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Wow! Really different..and captivating! How on earth did you ever do this? Quite the departure from your usual. I think it captures a strong mood-perhaps a great deal of distress...? Amazing work of art-did you take a picture of him , or is this pure painting? Remarkable! He looks quite Native-American in your painting.
You made me go looking for his songs....:). Such a voice!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:31 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Cindy, this started off as a bland photo of a face molded in concrete. It was not until I started with the painting that it hit me who it was. Previously, I had watched his last major concert in Hawaii — he was overweight and aging. He sang his heart out, but I thought “what a shame.” So this is a tribute to him as I last remember him sweating and singing his heart out on stage. A lot of hand painting was involved, but the more I worked on it the more it reminded me of him at that last concert. Obviously, this was not intended as an accurate portrait, rather as an abstract revealing the feelings I experienced that night long ago — the sounds, the sweat, and the incredible effort he put forth. The image took first place in an “altered reality” photography competition a while back. One comment I have received was that he was wearing horns, but that was not intended on my part.

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:21 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Ron Day wrote:Cindy, this started off as a bland photo of a face molded in concrete. It was not until I started with the painting that it hit me who it was. Previously, I had watched his last major concert in Hawaii — he was overweight and aging. He sang his heart out, but I thought “what a shame.” So this is a tribute to him as I last remember him sweating and singing his heart out on stage. A lot of hand painting was involved, but the more I worked on it the more it reminded me of him at that last concert. Obviously, this was not intended as an accurate portrait, rather as an abstract revealing the feelings I experienced that night long ago — the sounds, the sweat, and the incredible effort he put forth. The image took first place in an “altered reality” photography competition a while back. One comment I have received was that he was wearing horns, but that was not intended on my part.
Hey Ron, thanks for the further illumination. That explains the pain I see in his face in your painting. I was never a follower growing up ( my background was almost completely classical... until the Beatles! ), though I remember hearing him (recorded) at a dance once, and often on the radio. So many stars end up this way- a real shame-a too-high price to pay for fame. That's an amazing painting!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Oh, that's scary!!! I once made a turquoise and silver necklace(commissioned) specifically to be given to him by a local person and his son who attended many of his concerts. They also wanted to have me make a huge E.P. belt buckle for him, but that never happened. I think a part of them died when he did, but he did give them many scarves along the way. I must say, though, that I'm glad I don't remember him exactly this way in his torment.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Carol Clarke on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:57 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
I thought at first that you meant 'Montezuma', one of the last 'Kings' of the Aztecs! That is what I saw when I first looked at this one, Ron.

Such utter, raw emotion and its quite tangible! The lower jaw seems to be melting away, and I guess that is the facade finally slipping from his stage persona.

Phew!

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by david fletcher on Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:36 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Ron Day wrote:Cindy, this started off as a bland photo of a face molded in concrete. It was not until I started with the painting that it hit me who it was. Previously, I had watched his last major concert in Hawaii — he was overweight and aging. He sang his heart out, but I thought “what a shame.” So this is a tribute to him as I last remember him sweating and singing his heart out on stage. A lot of hand painting was involved, but the more I worked on it the more it reminded me of him at that last concert. Obviously, this was not intended as an accurate portrait, rather as an abstract revealing the feelings I experienced that night long ago — the sounds, the sweat, and the incredible effort he put forth. The image took first place in an “altered reality” photography competition a while back. One comment I have received was that he was wearing horns, but that was not intended on my part.
Hey Ron, thanks for the further illumination. That explains the pain I see in his face in your painting. I was never a follower growing up ( my background was almost completely classical... until the Beatles! ), though I remember hearing him (recorded) at a dance once, and often on the radio. So many stars end up this way- a real shame-a too-high price to pay for fame. That's an amazing painting!

Sublime and very emotive Ron.  Amazing are one of the many adjectives that spring to mind. This may need to be offered to the King's archives... 

PS.  My first impression was of a Indian Chief... Can see where Carol thought  Aztecs... Your info adds so much more meaning
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:18 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Thank you all very much for your comments. I knew this abstract style of image would not be favored by all on a nature photography website, but it is very important to me, and I spent an incredible amount of time painting and working on it. I personally love the image. You should see it printed large in a contemporary setting! 8)

by Peter Ireland on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:33 pm
Peter Ireland
Forum Contributor
Member #:01589
I must admit Ron until I read your comment, I thought this was Jimi Hendrix, is it just me? A lovely rendering and congrats on this winning the "altered reality" competition.

by Ron Day on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:37 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Peter Ireland wrote:I must admit Ron until I read your comment, I thought this was Jimi Hendrix, is it just me? A lovely rendering and congrats on this winning the "altered reality" competition.
Thanks, Peter. Now that you mention it, I definitely see the similarity. How very observant of you! Thanks for your input.

by himadri roy on Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:14 pm
himadri roy
Forum Contributor
Member #:02163
Outstanding work sir. Standing ovation.

11 posts |