Tres Amigos

Posted by Sandy R-B on Sun May 20, 2018 5:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
I watched these three Rufous hummers chasing each other around for 10 minutes, and was ecstatic (and very grateful) when they all settled onto this in-range weed.
Addendum: a few  fresher flowers were cloned in over dead ones. 

2018:01:29 19:56:33
Newport Beach, CA
Nikon D850
600mm
1/500 sec, f/11
Mode: Av
Metering: Multi-segment
Exp comp: +2
ISO: 1600
White balance: Auto
Flash: Off

Last edited by Sandy R-B on Tue May 22, 2018 4:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

Posted by:
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor

by Ron Day on Sun May 20, 2018 8:56 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
The fact you captured all three hummers posed nicely, sharp, and with an eye showing is extraordinary, Sandy. If you had not listed the 600mm lens, I would have guessed it was taken with more of a wide angle lens.

by Robert on Mon May 21, 2018 11:05 am
Robert
Forum Contributor
Wow and cute!

by Debapratim Saha on Mon May 21, 2018 11:29 am
Debapratim Saha
Forum Contributor
Amazing hummer-scape!!
Photography is the only solace in life

by Karl Egressy on Mon May 21, 2018 1:15 pm
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
Super sweet image!!!

by Stuart Clarke on Mon May 21, 2018 2:44 pm
Stuart Clarke
Forum Contributor
Not sure why this isn't posted in Digital art,  the middle and right bush are the same bush,  and the background is obviously fake too.  This really puts a stain on this forum imo, especially when its not being called out as the obvious ps it is.     The story just adds to the deceit.  This is going way beyond the blurred background and branch removal many do.  I will swing by and have a look periodically but when pics like this get the comments they do, I see no point in posting.  

by Sandy R-B on Mon May 21, 2018 3:27 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Stuart Clarke wrote:Not sure why this isn't posted in Digital art,  the middle and right bush are the same bush
Stuart:  Yes, I cloned in parts of  fresher flowers instead of some of the dead flowers that were there, but that does not make the image "fake." 
Exactly how much cloning is allowed in the forums on this site ??

Sandy

by Stuart Clarke on Mon May 21, 2018 4:04 pm
Stuart Clarke
Forum Contributor
Sandy R wrote:
Stuart Clarke wrote:Not sure why this isn't posted in Digital art,  the middle and right bush are the same bush
Stuart:  Yes, I cloned in parts of  fresher flowers instead of some of the dead flowers that were there, but that does not make the image "fake." 
Exactly how much cloning is allowed in the forums on this site ??

Sandy

Come on Sandy,  the middle bush is exactly the same as the right one.  that's not cloning a few flowers.  Put it in the digital art where it belongs and you may get some comments to help improve it.   

by Ron Day on Mon May 21, 2018 7:18 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Sandy wrote: Exactly how much cloning is allowed in the forums on this site ??

Sandy
The posting guidelines provide:

“It is also suggested that significant post processing steps be mentioned, such as approximate crop percentages and changes in content.”

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon May 21, 2018 7:58 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Awww- you were so lucky!! What great trio- just delightful!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Sandy R-B on Mon May 21, 2018 9:25 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Ron Day wrote:
Sandy wrote: Exactly how much cloning is allowed in the forums on this site ??

Sandy
The posting guidelines provide:

“It is also suggested that significant post processing steps be mentioned, such as approximate crop percentages and changes in content.”
I see absolutely no examples in any of the images I have replied to (other than in Photo Art where we mention the Art programs we used) where crop percentages, things like branches removed, etc were even mentioned. 

There was NO "significant post-processing changes" made to this image. 

Further, the branches are quite different if one actually looks carefully before squawking. 
Sandy

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Awww- you were so lucky!! What  great trio- just delightful!
Hmmm- If a whole branch is actually moved, it's very possible that might be more manipulation than is generally accepted in this particular NSN "birds" forum.  These cuties would be delightful in P&DA if that is the case.
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Fleming on Tue May 22, 2018 6:16 am
Fleming
Forum Contributor
Agree that the image appears highly manipulated upon first glance. Contrast and saturation of middle bird and branch appear to be different from those on either side. Also, as Stuart mentioned, the complete cloning of the top of the bush on which the middle and right birds are sitting detracts from the image further. Lastly the trio of birds appears to have been superimposed upon the background. Whether or not this is the case I'm not sure, but it does appear that way.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue May 22, 2018 9:47 am
Cynthia Crawford
Hi all

I would just like to remind everyone that if you repost an image in the same post, it must be shown in the thread beneath the original.  You should not alter the original post, as that might make the comments irrelevant or confusing. Here is a quote from the guidelines:

"Two reposts are permitted per image post. The original poster may include a repost after the original image indicating it is the modified version, but please do not replace the original image."

We all need to keep these things in mind in order to avoid conflict and confusion.

In this case, we see that this photo was "Last edited by Sandy R on Tue May 22, 2018 5:28 am, edited 5 times in total." 

Please, in the future, show your edits in the thread  BELOW the original, and only 2 are permitted.

Thank you!

by Carol Clarke on Tue May 22, 2018 11:28 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
There is no doubt that the end result is lovely, Sandy, but the amount of cloning/alteration does put this in the Photo and Digital Art category, so I am moving it there.

Carol.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

15 posts |