Capercaillie male

Posted by Carol Clarke on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:55 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
The Scottish Capercaillie, the largest of the Grouse family.

From an original photo and painted with PS and Topaz.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

Posted by:
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067

by Sandy R-B on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Beautiful work - very painterly. The feather texture, colours, and pose are terrific!
Sandy and

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:20 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Oh, my- what a striking portrait! The red eyebrow and yellow beak make such a great contrast with the dark bird. Love the upward-looking pose. Great eye too- super image, Carol! It looks so alive , I wonder what it was doing!?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:07 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
I'm struck by the simplicity and beauty of your image, Carol. Simplicity in the way you have so effectively isolated your subject, and beautiful in the manner you have composed a striking portrait and accented it with vivid color and painterly style. It's stunning.

by david fletcher on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:31 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
what a beauty! brilliant shot Carol. The enhancement adds to an already beautiful portrait. Love the strutting pose with it's eye on you
David Fletcher   Moderator.   Birds, Photo & Digital Art

Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:10 pm
Carol Clarke
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Oh, my- what a striking portrait!  The red eyebrow and yellow beak make such a great contrast with the dark bird.  Love the upward-looking pose. Great eye too- super image, Carol! It looks so alive , I wonder what it was doing!?
This was breeding season and he didn't want anyone on his territory!  so he stood up to full height and glared at us over the top of a patch of foliage.   So that pose and look says clear off! :D 
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

by Arabinda Debnath on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:01 am
Arabinda Debnath
Forum Contributor
Excellent work,Carol! Absolutely love it.

by andre paul on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:10 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
nice portrait painting carol !
the painterly effect works fine!
nice subject.
if i remember correctly there is a music group called capercaille ;-)

andre
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by Debapratim Saha on Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:30 pm
Debapratim Saha
Forum Contributor
Amazing work...Congrats on EP Carol!!
Photography is the only solace in life

by mlgray12 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:45 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
Carol Clarke wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Oh, my- what a striking portrait!  The red eyebrow and yellow beak make such a great contrast with the dark bird.  Love the upward-looking pose. Great eye too- super image, Carol! It looks so alive , I wonder what it was doing!?
This was breeding season and he didn't want anyone on his territory!  so he stood up to full height and glared at us over the top of a patch of foliage.   So that pose and look says clear off! :D 
Carol great shot and art work - You are lucky if this bird just glared at you over a bush - I never experienced a Capercaillie (Tuir in Norwegian) attack in 5 years I live in Norway - nor got any  great shots - but I did try but that was back in 100 ASA film days - love to try again and will - many of my Norwegian friends have been attacked by these big birds and it does not feel good - they really hit hard with those big wings and are capable of killing each other on a Lek
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by Carol Clarke on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:24 am
Carol Clarke
mlgray12 wrote:
Carol Clarke wrote:
Carol great shot and art work - You are lucky if this bird just glared at you over a bush - I never experienced a Capercaillie (Tuir in Norwegian) attack in 5 years I live in Norway - nor got any  great shots - but I did try but that was back in 100 ASA film days - love to try again and will - many of my Norwegian friends have been attacked by these big birds and it does not feel good - they really hit hard with those big wings and are capable of killing each other on a Lek

Thank you for your comments Michael.  Yes, they are formidable birds and this was a few years ago - I lived in Scotland for ten years and this was my only sighting, but never say never!
Carol Clarke

NSN0067

11 posts |