Butterfly on Black

Posted by SantaFeJoe on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:01 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
A butterfly image taken today at a museum grounds in Santa Fe. Taken with Samsung S8 phone camera, image extracted from BG in camera and processed on camera plus LR and PSE. JPEG original, 4.25mm, f1.7@1/2280 sec., remote release used, handheld.
Please click on image for a better view.
All C&C welcome.
Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Posted by:
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:02 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Amazing detail for a phone photo, Joe. Or any camera, for that matter. A very pretty specimen. Looks great on a black background. I like the angle in the background, but I feel like it's cramped in the frame-you could add real estate easily since it's all black by increasing the canvas size and filling it in. It's especially tight on the right side.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:27 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the input, Cindy. I knew it was tight when posting, but I still haven't learned how to add canvas with LR. It seems like I have done it on the phone for my avatars, but I can't seem to repeat the process! I've got to work on that. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:51 am
Cynthia Crawford
SantaFeJoe wrote:Thanks for the input, Cindy. I knew it was tight when posting, but I still haven't learned how to add canvas with LR.  It seems like I have done it on the phone for my avatars, but I can't seem to repeat the process! I've got to work on that. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Joe
Hi Joe

Do you have Elements? Should be easy there. Can't help with LR.
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:58 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:Thanks for the input, Cindy. I knew it was tight when posting, but I still haven't learned how to add canvas with LR.  It seems like I have done it on the phone for my avatars, but I can't seem to repeat the process! I've got to work on that. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Joe
Hi Joe

I do have an older version of Elements, but I was able to manage to add canvas in a roundabout manner on the phone. Here it is:
If you can tell me how to do it in Elements, I could sure use that info. I have a mental block about learning to use the technology available!!! :oops:
Thanks.

BTW, the butterfly is called a "Painted Lady".

Joe 

by Carol Clarke on Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:50 am
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Your expanded version looks great Joe, the extra room round the butterfly really shows it off beautifully.  The detail and colours are lovely!!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Ron Day on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:15 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Joe, the newest version is a great improvement, and it looks wonderful with the extra space around the butterfly. I have photographed Painted Ladies, and they are one of my favorites. The underside of their wings is beautiful too. I'm very impressed with the sharpness and detail in your image – excellent work with the Samsung S8 phone camera. :)

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:10 pm
Cynthia Crawford
SantaFeJoe wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:

Joe
Hi Joe

I do have an older version of Elements, but I was able to manage to add canvas in a roundabout manner on the phone. Here it is:
If you can tell me how to do it in Elements, I could sure use that info. I have a mental block about learning to use the technology available!!! :oops:
Thanks.

BTW, the butterfly is called a "Painted Lady".

Joe 
That looks terrific now, Joe. Much improved.

I don't have Elements but I think it's probably the same as Photoshop. I'll check with my husband -I think he has Elements. Looks like you did very well on your phone in any case!

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

8 posts |