Young Male Fox

Posted by Carol Clarke on Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
A young dog fox near a woodland den.   I had the pleasure of making his aquaintance a while back and thought he might make a good subject for a painting.  :) 

I'm not sure this is finished yet, so maybe still a work in progress - any thoughts you might like to share, whether good or bad, will be most welcome.  No offence will be taken!  8) 

Artwork done in PS and using Topaz brushes.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

Posted by:
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067

by david fletcher on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:14 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
what a beautiful Fox. The treatment is gorgeous as it adds that artwork but retains the character of the fox. (sometimes the artwork takes over and for me this retains the essence of the fox). Successful image for me
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:32 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Really sweet , Mr. fox. :). Love the pose and the eyes are so beautiful. As for the painting....hmmm. I want to say something that applies generally to this kind of painting technique. David touched on the subject ("sometimes the artwork takes over"). I think not entirely in this case, but for me, just a bit. It's a matter of preference, for sure. What bothers me, I think, is the strongly contrasted edges of the brush strokes that look (again to MY eye) a bit artificial- perhaps paint-by-number-ish? The further away you get from the piece, the better it blends and looks more natural, but in these close-up screen views it stands out more. The top of fox's head and ears look great, his eyes and snout too. The whites and lower body are more what I am referring to. I just prefer a more blended look, perhaps because I am a water-colorist at heart.

It's such a lovely , charming photo! For my taste, a few tweaks would do it. And hmmm again...perhaps tone down the bright green grass in front?

Whew! I have such respect for your work Carol!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:34 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Such a handsome young fox, Carol. I love the pose and portrait-view presented in your composition, and I personally think the fox looks great. I'm a fan of impressionistic art, and to me the large brush strokes on the chest of the fox are attractive. However, Cindy makes some worthy points on the brush work, and I very much respect her opinion and contribution as an artist. I'm pleased you left the eyes, ears, and nose more natural in appearance - one look at those eyes and I was hooked. Beautiful work, Carol. 8)

by Carol Clarke on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:03 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Thank you so much for your honest thoughts on young Mr Fox.  I see what you're referring to Cindy, but I was trying to stay as true to the original condition of his fur as much as possible.  He was in between his winter coat and moulting into his summer coat (this was taken around May time) and his fur, especially the white part, was quite coarse.  It had also rained the previous night and the grass was still damp which also contributed to his not so soft and fluffy appearance.  I attach the original photo to show the condition of his fur which might explain what I was trying to maintain.   :)   As for the grass, behind him was in shade under trees, and the few blades in the front were in direct sunlight so were much brighter.

I know its not a Rembrandt, but hopefully as near to reality as possible but with a painted twist.  :wink:

I really do appreciate your honest feedback, and look forward to more!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:23 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Carol Clarke wrote:
Thank you so much for your honest thoughts on young Mr Fox.  I see what you're referring to Cindy, but I was trying to stay as true to the original condition of his fur as much as possible.  He was in between his winter coat and moulting into his summer coat (this was taken around May time) and his fur, especially the white part, was quite coarse.  It had also rained the previous night and the grass was still damp which also contributed to his not so soft and fluffy appearance.  I attach the original photo to show the condition of his fur which might explain what I was trying to maintain.   :)   As for the grass, behind him was in shade under trees, and the few blades in the front were in direct sunlight so were much brighter.

I know its not a Rembrandt, but hopefully as near to reality as possible but with a painted twist.  :wink:

I really do appreciate your honest feedback, and look forward to more!
Aaah, yes. I see what you mean about the rough, wet texture of the coat. Your painted version does give that impression. And hey, none of us has produced a Rembrandt here (yet) ;)  that I have noticed!  I tend to be super-critical sometimes, but that is the way I see things.  I only hope I don't discourage or offend anyone-I am usually referring to a very fussy aspect of something that might be changed...for better or maybe for worse.  At the risk of repeating myself endlessly, I will say too, that some or our pieces, especially with this kind of texture, tend to look better at a more natural viewing distance such as one might see in a gallery. Such is the case with this lovely piece.

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by andre paul on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:07 pm
andre paul
Forum Contributor
hi carol.
i like the overall patterns here.
foxes make a nice subject to textures, with their smooth colours.
i also like the preserved eyes expression here....
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**

by Debapratim Saha on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:40 am
Debapratim Saha
Forum Contributor
Amazing art work Carol,like everything about this.... love the original image as well!!
Photography is the only solace in life

by Sandy R-B on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:48 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Love the tecture in the fur. A little more separation from the fox and the BG would draw forcus to the fox.
Terrific work, as usual, even if not finished!
Sandy

by Arabinda Debnath on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:02 pm
Arabinda Debnath
Forum Contributor
Beautiful image,Carol! Love it.

by LynnS on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:33 pm
LynnS
Forum Contributor
Carol, the face looks so lovely, the eyes, ears and nose so distinct and riveting.  I enjoyed the textures of the tousled, damp fur, very palpable visually, and looks very touchable.  In fact, it made me want to reach out and smooth it, like one would, to a pet, so the textures do invite the viewer to have a mental interaction with the fox, if that makes sense.  Thanks for including the original, I was floored by it, so sharp and distinct, with such rich colors on this beautiful animal!

Great comments and suggestions made, gets one's "thinking cap" on.  Love both image posts :).
Lynn

11 posts |