Red Deer Fawn

Posted by david fletcher on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
Gone high key and neg space for this youngster.  Please feel free to view larger.  Thanks
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Posted by:
david fletcher
Member #:00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:15 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Very sweet, Dave-I love the way you put the fawn in the corner with lots of space-it really emphasizes the subject. Clicking on this really brings out the lovely details. The shine in the eyes is especially noticeable in the larger version-not so bright in the smaller. I'm not so sure about the shiny nose- to me it looks like an "x" -perhaps tone it down just a bit. Otherwise a gorgeous work, and perhaps the nose is just fine. It struck me on first impression, but it's a pretty minor detail. All the contrasts and tones are really beautiful.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:09 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Dave, the high-key presentation and negative space work beautifully in this image. Great black and white conversion too. The young fawn is very handsome, and I love the treatment to the fur, particulary on the neck. Really enjoyed the detail viewed large. Beautiful work! :)

by LynnS on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:25 am
LynnS
Forum Contributor
David, best viewed large to get the full impact, the lines are electric and reminds me of lava flow for some reason, especially the way it curves around the neck and onto the body.  I like that you left the eyes clear, dark and penetrating, which helps bring the viewer back to a constant.  The BG imparts a stormy look for me, and the shapes seem to somehow shift mysteriously!  I would imagine the original was fairly innocuous and sweet, but your transformation notches up some intensity, as if aware of potential danger and has a riveting effect.

I do agree with Cindy concerning the "x" on nose - because of its very familiar form, it brings us back to reality for a moment, when maybe we don't want to just yet - toned down could do the trick.  But maybe you want it like that for a reason - you get to be the author.  Anyway, just my gut-level interpretation and reaction as a newbie and find this presentation striking and captivating :)
Lynn

by Carol Clarke on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:39 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Dave, I have to agree with Cindy and Lynn, I love everything about this apart from the X, as its the first thing that catches my eye and makes me think of a saltire, which if this was a Scottish deer would be quite appropriate.  8)   Darkening the X would make so much difference IMHO.
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by david fletcher on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:37 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Carol Clarke wrote:Dave, I have to agree with Cindy and Lynn, I love everything about this apart from the X, as its the first thing that catches my eye and makes me think of a saltire, which if this was a Scottish deer would be quite appropriate.  8)   Darkening the X would make so much difference IMHO.
Thanks all.  really appreciate the feedback.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Sandy R-B on Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Excellent work with the filters. The fur is especially well-enhanced.
Beautiful artwork!
Sandy

7 posts |