Wolf Moon

Posted by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
This is an oldie-it was a composite of a tree with moon photo and a howling animal-I forget what the original was, but I used a lot of Photoshop Liquefy to shape both the scene and the "wolf", and also did some PS painting I think.And...added "glitter"-from Topaz, I think. .  Kathy and David's recent posts reminded me of this one so I thought I'd air it out again.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

Posted by:
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733

by david fletcher on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:57 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
How cool is this Cindy. so glad you brought it out to air. Fabulous!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:48 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
This is great, Cindy! Love the rim light on the wolf and that wonderful twirled moon! The twisted tree is the finishing touch to give this a cool, spooky feeling. I also like your use of Liquify, which appears to have been applied selectively to different parts of the image. Is that possible? For some reason, I thought it had to be applied globally. Glad you brought this image out - Terrific work!!! :)

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:56 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Ron Day wrote:This is great, Cindy! Love the rim light on the wolf and that wonderful twirled moon! The twisted tree is the finishing touch to give this a cool, spooky feeling. I also like your use of Liquify, which appears to have been applied selectively to different parts of the image. Is that possible? For some reason, I thought it had to be applied globally. Glad you brought this image out - Terrific work!!! :)
Hi Ron- thanks! You can select what you want in Liquify, both by using a smaller brush and/or by masking areas you don't want to move. I usually do small areas at a time, then go back to photoshop to paint and clone certain areas, then back to Liquify. etc. You can also backtrack in Liquify if you don't like what you did, either entirely or partially. And/or, you can make a selection before you use Liquify, and just work on that area.  Pretty cool app-I've had a lot of fun with it.
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:04 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Ron Day wrote:This is great, Cindy! Love the rim light on the wolf and that wonderful twirled moon! The twisted tree is the finishing touch to give this a cool, spooky feeling. I also like your use of Liquify, which appears to have been applied selectively to different parts of the image. Is that possible? For some reason, I thought it had to be applied globally. Glad you brought this image out - Terrific work!!! :)
Hi Ron- thanks! You can select what you want in Liquify, both by using a smaller brush and/or by masking areas you don't want to move. I usually do small areas at a time, then go back to photoshop to paint and clone certain areas, then back to Liquify. etc. You can also backtrack in Liquify if you don't like what you did, either entirely or partially. And/or, you can make a selection before you use Liquify, and just work on that area.  Pretty cool app-I've had a lot of fun with it.
Great information on Liquify, Cindy, thank you. I'll have to try it out. :)

by Carol Clarke on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:21 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Oooh!  Lovely spooky and mystical feel to this one Cindy....  Great wild-eyed looking wolf with his breath hanging in the cool night air as he howls to the moon, and that tree has a life of its own as it sways silhouetted against the night sky.  Love the composition and tweaking of the different elements to create a nice flow throughout and an air of anticipation......... of things past,......... and, to come............ 8)

Brilliant!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Carol Clarke wrote:Oooh!  Lovely spooky and mystical feel to this one Cindy....  Great wild-eyed looking wolf with his breath hanging in the cool night air as he howls to the moon, and that tree has a life of its own as it sways silhouetted against the night sky.  Love the composition and tweaking of the different elements to create a nice flow throughout and an air of anticipation......... of things past,......... and, to come............ 8)

Brilliant!
Thanks Carol!  You always have such interesting things to say..... love your interpretation.

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]

by LynnS on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:10 pm
LynnS
Forum Contributor
Cynthia, just superb, love the swirl of moon on that beautifully abstract sky, and the tree and shrubbery has a great rhythm to it.  I especially enjoy the rim light effect on the wolf, makes the image whole.  Excellent!
Lynn

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:07 pm
Cynthia Crawford
LynnS wrote:Cynthia, just superb, love the swirl of moon on that beautifully abstract sky, and the tree and shrubbery has a great rhythm to it.  I especially enjoy the rim light effect on the wolf, makes the image whole.  Excellent!
Thank you Lynn. I hope more people will try this technique- it's really fun.
Here's a link to an old tutorial on "Liquify"
https://www.naturescapes.net/articles/t ... reatively/

And you can find more (different) on this page under "announcements"/ techniques. Some are obsolete but some still apply.

by LynnS on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:25 am
LynnS
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
LynnS wrote:Cynthia, just superb, love the swirl of moon on that beautifully abstract sky, and the tree and shrubbery has a great rhythm to it.  I especially enjoy the rim light effect on the wolf, makes the image whole.  Excellent!

And you can find more (different) on this page under "announcements"/ techniques. Some are obsolete but some still apply.
Cindy, thanks for the link and the wonderful instruction contained, always interesting to see where the image starts and how the image transforms as you go along (like how a creature magically appears).  Know exactly what you mean by letting it simmer and trying to see it with fresh eyes now and then, and can see how a work in progress can sometimes end up staying as such, kind of like life, really :).

I'm not familiar with this section of the forum, and can only contribute a comment here and there, but now that I've visited, think it's great you folks can show your creative work, and have longer (in depth) conversations about it.  There's probably still "rules" I don't yet understand, to follow, but I like the idea that one can feel unlimited as to creation.  And the attendant thoughts and opinions expressed, seem to come down to personal preferences, colored by that person's collective life experiences ... and those differences lead to some lively observations!
Lynn

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:48 pm
Cynthia Crawford
LynnS wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:

Cindy, thanks for the link and the wonderful instruction contained, always interesting to see where the image starts and how the image transforms as you go along (like how a creature magically appears).  Know exactly what you mean by letting it simmer and trying to see it with fresh eyes now and then, and can see how a work in progress can sometimes end up staying as such, kind of like life, really :).

I'm not familiar with this section of the forum, and can only contribute a comment here and there, but now that I've visited, think it's great you folks can show your creative work, and have longer (in depth) conversations about it.  There's probably still "rules" I don't yet understand, to follow, but I like the idea that one can feel unlimited as to creation.  And the attendant thoughts and opinions expressed, seem to come down to personal preferences, colored by that person's collective life experiences ... and those differences lead to some lively observations!
Hey Lynn-I thik we're here to mostly break the "rules" ;). But I guess we have a few guidelines consistent with the "nature" part of this site in general. Even that gets pretty stretches with interesting results at times. We do seem to enjoy discussion here-I think it helps with the creative process. .

by Katlady on Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:22 pm
Katlady
Forum Contributor
Cynthia
Such a wonderful composition and use of all sorts of filters. Really beautiful .
Observing and recording nature should always be done with awe and the knowledge that it is a privilege to just be there!
        -Kathy Urbach-

by Sandy R-B on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:25 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Just beautiful!
Sandy

by Katlady on Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:33 pm
Katlady
Forum Contributor
Well deserved EP. As I said before a fantastic use of several filters. I love this.
Observing and recording nature should always be done with awe and the knowledge that it is a privilege to just be there!
        -Kathy Urbach-

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:19 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Thanks all -surprised andpleased to receive EP as well!

by Ron Day on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:32 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Big congrats on EP, Cindy!!!

16 posts |