Brothers in Arms

Posted by david fletcher on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
B&W treatment before a tickle with Topaz Glow.. Felt it retained the emotions I was seeking.  D500 and Sigma 150-600 OS Sport.  

Probably ok to look larger.  Please feel free to click on the image.  Thanks for viewing.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Posted by:
david fletcher
Member #:00525

by Mike in O on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:59 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
It looks like a woodblock print...nice

by Ron Day on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:31 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
The framing of the deer conveys a message - they are on alert. Something definitely has their attention with the foreground stag looking one direction and the other three looking the other way. I like that you kept it simple, not too complex. At the top of the frame, I can see the faint hint trees in the background - so subtle yet so very effective in adding a sense of depth to the image. A beautiful, artistic piece, very nicely executed, Dave!

by Carol Clarke on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:53 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Love this one Dave! It has a touch of soft charcoal/ink sketching about it,which enhances the scene beautifully. I can pick up on the tension with the boys all on alert and watching each other's backs.

A beauty!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:37 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Excellent tonal quality, Dave, and beautifully composed. I like that one deer is prominent and facing forward while the rest are departing.  The rich textures of the grasses contrast well with the softer background.  A very attractive scene, extremely well done. Very much worth viewing large. What a nice wall panel it would make!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Jeff Munoz on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:36 pm
Jeff Munoz
Forum Contributor
Member #:01802
That is a cool post editing, how do you do it? I love it David!
Jeff Muñoz - Live the unique Photography Expeditions to Costa Rica with http://rainforestphototours.com

by david fletcher on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:23 pm
david fletcher
Thanks all.  To Jeff, and not meant as patronising, but for all to see, in answer to your question, if it was a question is....

From what I have seen, several of the above members and others in this section,  regularly delight us with some just plain fab images.  (those currently showing Topaz Impression and one that's using Fractalius, just inspire me as their images are so cool)...

I bought into Topaz Glow so have decided to dig into it before I look at other options.  (translation.. better understand that before I go jumping on a bandwagon that I don't understand)... I've seen so much here that makes me think omg, wow!  love it....  Glow does give me many options but am so in awe of those that have cracked Impression as I just am a sucker for those painterly effects.  

Re what I am using....All done in layers..

1st  at the image taking stage...questions.. what do I want to show....light, mood, emotion etc. and what can I do later....
2nd ,   thinking on the image in question then becomes a test between, does power, full colour, contrast, suit or is it a subtle, softer emotive image that needs subtlety and consideration in the colours, contrast and emotions.

after that it's plain hell...  Red Wine...  a tinker with layers: layer masks, selective opacity, selective contrast and sharpening boosts and then more red wine.  

Pretty much the same process we all use when taking any image... lol...  

If that all makes sense, I'll toast you with a glass of red wine... ha...

and that I suspect, apart from the doses of red wine, is what we all have done... is fun though...

NSN00525

by Sandy R-B on Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:19 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Beautiful - great grouping and the alert poses, especially of the one facing us, is excellent.
There are dark halos around all the antlers that might be better gone, but I get that halo too and it's hard to clone (or ?) it out.
Excellent work!
Sandy

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:42 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Sandy R wrote: There are dark halos around all the antlers that might be better gone, but I get that halo too and it's hard to clone (or ?)  it out.

Sandy
Sometimes you can use the photoshop  "magic" selection tool to get the antlers and the regular selection tool for the larger bodies. Then select inverse, and clone around the shapes. In this case there is plenty of the same color background for cloning.  Lotta work sometimes. I don't especially mind the dark shapes, but it can be done. (Probably requires more red wine....) ;).
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:07 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
The halos around the antlers are a part of the program Dave is using - Topaz Glow. Halos = Glow, Topaz Glow.

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:44 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Ron Day wrote:The halos around the antlers are a part of the program Dave is using - Topaz Glow.  Halos = Glow, Topaz Glow.
Yeah...I was just suggesting an after-market solution, so to speak. ;).

by david fletcher on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:21 pm
david fletcher
like the Red wine suggestion... (have to eke that out as can't take it like I used too).  

Seriously, thanks all for the suggestions.  Didn't reply to Sandy's original reply as the halos, as Ron mentioned are part of the image and process,  so were left in as were wanted.  

There are times when I don't want that so do as Cindy suggests.  (am image in the pipeline, of a kingfisher, has too much of a glow by the beak so worked on that but left the rest as felt it was in keeping with the effect I wanted)... have put my money where my mouth is and just posted that shot..

Appreciate so much, the time and thoughts you put in which I see as a boon.  (win-win situ')

NSN00525

12 posts |