Bosque Crane Pond

Posted by Ron Day on Fri May 26, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 8 posts | 
This is a painting I did using the same image at Bosque del Apache that I used in my previous "abstract" post. If you are interested in seeing the original image, I posted a copy in the previous "abstract" thread. Please click on this image to view it full size. I would be interested to know which you prefer and why. Thanks. 
Nikon DX, 200-400mm, f/10 @ 1/500, ISO 400, Photoshop CS6, Topaz Impression II.

Posted by:
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819

by Carol Clarke on Fri May 26, 2017 5:02 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
We have a saying over here....'horses for courses', and for me, as I love them both, it would depend on what setting the picture would be placed in.  Some years ago I lived in an old farmhouse which would have suited this softer, more realistic version perfectly.  I now live in a small, modern town house which would suit the abstract version much better with its sharper lines and bold treatment.

If I had to choose, then it would be the  softer version for its 'feel' , mood and beautiful use of light.  8)
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri May 26, 2017 5:43 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
This is really lovely too, Ron. I like Carol's comments about context- they both have their places in the art world. I don't think can make a preference because they are so different, each with it's own charm. The pastel quality of this one is very soft and soothing, the other is lively and electric. Looks like you have 2 winners here!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Sat May 27, 2017 11:23 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
have to agree with what's been said Ron. Two winners each doing a different job with differing appeal. If I were to choose a personal fav' it'll be this image as I feel it leans towards differing emotions and has longer lasting appeal. Cracking stuff
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Eia on Sat May 27, 2017 7:37 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Agree with everyone. To me they look like totally different scenes that I wouldn't want to compare. I like them both and each one gives me a different sensation. This one is calming and the other is energetic....And both are awesome.
~AnnaMaria~

by Sandy R-B on Mon May 29, 2017 10:35 am
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Both are unique and neither should be judged against the other.
Beautiful work with both!
Sandy

by cwdavis on Mon May 29, 2017 7:19 pm
cwdavis
Forum Contributor
IMO, the two images represent different degrees of abstraction; one can imagine an 'infinite' series of such images from the original and allowing the viewer to choose the image that was most appealing to them.  For me, both of the abstractions presented are more interesting to view than the original.  The one I prefer is the one first posted, but ultimately I think I'd most like one intermediate between the two.  In any case, it's a most interesting exercise!

Thanks again, Ron,
Bill
C William Davis
Chapel Hill, NC

by Ron Day on Mon May 29, 2017 8:43 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Thanks, all, for taking the time to view and comment. I'm inclined to agree with you that they are two different styles of images. Depending upon the circumstances under which they are viewed, I like them both. Like Carol, I think the first posted image would work in a more contemporary/modern setting. And like Bill, I prefer both over the original. Thanks again everyone, your input is respected and greatly appreciated.

8 posts |