Cougar in the Snow

Posted by Cynthia Crawford on Mon May 22, 2017 10:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
This is a composite-the cougar is a painting I did, originally on a rock. I put it in a snowy scene from behind my house, and used Topaz impression to alter the snow. Then I used clone stamp to blend the edges of the snow with the cougar. I also changed the lighting on the painted cougar to match the snow scene better. Did some dodging and burning here and there as well. Long ago I posted a very different version of this, but this is a fresh start and, I hope, improved.

By the way, this picture is wishful thinking! There have been phantom cougar/catamount/mountain lion sightings in Vermont, but no absolutely positive evidence of any living here....yet, (Though some will insist they have been seen.)  Anyway, I created my own. !).

Does it work? Is it convincing? C&C welcome!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

Posted by:
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733

by Ron Day on Mon May 22, 2017 10:56 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
A handsome cougar and a lovely snow scene. However, I'm struggling with the shadows. The direction of light is from the top right to the bottom left, but there is no shadow on the cougar. It seems to me that the side of the cougar we can see should be in shadow based on the other shadows in the landscape, particulary the snow bank with trees behind the cougar.

by david fletcher on Tue May 23, 2017 1:33 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Love what you are doing with Topaz Impression. Like the cooler snow scene set off against the warm colours of the cougar. Works for me Cindy.
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue May 23, 2017 5:32 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Ron Day wrote:A handsome cougar and a lovely snow scene. However, I'm struggling with the shadows. The direction of light is from the top right to the bottom left, but there is no shadow on the cougar. It seems to me that the side of the cougar we can see should be in shadow based on the other shadows in the landscape, particulary the snow bank with trees behind the cougar.
Thanks Ron- Just so!  I thought I had fixed that with the change in lighting, but forgot about where shadows should be. Will work on that, but perhaps the cougar just doesn't fit there....
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Mark Picard on Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
I also think the cougar should be "set in" to the snow more deeply. The cougars' weight would do this in real life. Also, I think if this were real, the feet would have traces of snow on them too (from walking around). Perhaps a footprint in the FG would help also. I think you have your work cut out for you Cynthia (with the shadows and all) , but the end result would be worth it!  :)
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Mike in O on Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Lots of fun...as for you being able to see a cougar in the wild in Vermont, I live in Oregon where there many thousand and I have only seen 2.

6 posts |