Plop the Owl

Posted by david fletcher on Mon May 22, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Version II.  (actually version III as v 2 was used the other day and tried the effect of liquify ...(but left the bg).  Prefer this treatment from Topaz Glow..  Used a 500 Zoom..(my legs).... same bird, just shot from a further distance before moving in to try and get closer. 
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

Posted by:
david fletcher
Member #:00525

by Ron Day on Mon May 22, 2017 2:39 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
Dave, I agree this background is more complimentary to the little owl. Also, I prefer the texture used on the owl and tree branches in this version. This has more of a natural feel to it, yet it is still very artistic. I find myself refining and reworking images in an effort to improve them. And you have done exactly that with this beautiful image. Bravo!!! :D

by david fletcher on Mon May 22, 2017 2:55 pm
david fletcher
Ron Day wrote:Dave, I agree this background is more complimentary to the little owl. Also, I prefer the texture used on the owl and tree branches in this version. This has more of a natural feel to it, yet it is still very artistic. I find myself refining and reworking images in an effort to improve them. And you have done exactly that with this beautiful image. Bravo!!! :D

Thanks Ron.  As I explore the options, I'm coming to an area where I like the effects, but feel the need to dilute to provide that feeling and emotion,.  Much as you said, refining  and re-working your images too.  Sort of like, "this is where we want to be, ... this is where I am...  and this effort is a walk along that road... Nice journey to be on Ron

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Mon May 22, 2017 3:16 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819
david fletcher wrote:
Ron Day wrote:Dave, I agree this background is more complimentary to the little owl. Also, I prefer the texture used on the owl and tree branches in this version. This has more of a natural feel to it, yet it is still very artistic. I find myself refining and reworking images in an effort to improve them. And you have done exactly that with this beautiful image. Bravo!!! :D

Thanks Ron.  As I explore the options, I'm coming to an area where I like the effects, but feel the need to dilute to provide that feeling and emotion,.  Much as you said, refining  and re-working your images too.  Sort of like, "this is where we want to be, ... this is where I am...  and this effort is a walk along that road... Nice journey to be on Ron
Perfectly described and stated, Dave.  I could not have said it better.  :D

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon May 22, 2017 9:11 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Nice one, Dave. A very different feel to this one, the tree being much more prominent. This gives the owl more a sense of proportion, and it is less dominant in the scene. It does, however, stand out a bit more from the background. I find the orange on the tree right next to the owl constantly grabbing my attention away from the subject-I think I'd prefer to see it toned like the rest of the tree. Composition is otherwise great. It's funny-I thought I'd prefer the softer background when it was mentioned in the other version, but in fact, I'd like to see something in between! (How fussy can you get, huh?).
Love both your comments and Ron's about the journey. It reminds me of the experience of painting in (real) watercolors. It's so hard to know when you're done. I usually find out I should have quit before I thought I should, if that makes sense. Errrr....

I love that you are experimenting and refining- that we all are. With photography/photoshop you can go backwards, unlike watercolors. Sometimes that's a great advantage, sometimes it's so infinite that it's mind-boggling.

Don't mind my rant please. Carry on!! ;)
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by david fletcher on Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 am
david fletcher
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Nice one, Dave. A very different feel to this one, the tree being much more prominent. This gives the owl more a sense of proportion, and it is less dominant in the scene. It does, however, stand out a bit more from the background.  I find the orange on the tree right next to the owl constantly grabbing my attention away from the subject-I think I'd prefer to see it toned like the rest of the tree. Composition is otherwise great.  It's funny-I thought I'd prefer the softer background when it was mentioned in the other version, but in fact, I'd like to see something in between! (How fussy can you get, huh?).  
Love both your comments and Ron's about the journey. It reminds me of the experience of painting in (real) watercolors. It's so hard to know when you're done. I usually find out I should have quit before I thought I should, if that makes sense. Errrr....

I love that you are experimenting and refining- that we all are. With photography/photoshop you can go backwards, unlike watercolors. Sometimes that's a great advantage, sometimes it's so infinite that it's mind-boggling.

Love your comments Cindy.  Particularly "it's so hard to know when you are done."..  

This is one I cooked earlier....  (wasn't sure what option I preferred either).

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Tue May 23, 2017 6:23 pm
Cynthia Crawford
david fletcher wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Nice one, Dave. A very different feel to this one, the tree being much more prominent. This gives the owl more a sense of proportion, and it is less dominant in the scene. It does, however, stand out a bit more from the background.  I find the orange on the tree right next to the owl constantly grabbing my attention away from the subject-I think I'd prefer to see it toned like the rest of the tree. Composition is otherwise great.  It's funny-I thought I'd prefer the softer background when it was mentioned in the other version, but in fact, I'd like to see something in between! (How fussy can you get, huh?).  

Love your comments Cindy.  Particularly "it's so hard to know when you are done."..  

Yes to this one!  I prefer it-values are beautifully balanced. The background fits better, for some reason. Maybe it's done?? ;).

[font="Helvetica Neue",Helvetica,sans-serif]Save[/font]
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Jeff Munoz on Wed May 24, 2017 12:29 am
Jeff Munoz
Forum Contributor
Member #:01802
Love it Dave, and the post editing adds a nice touch to it!
Jeff Muñoz - Live the unique Photography Expeditions to Costa Rica with http://rainforestphototours.com

by david fletcher on Wed May 24, 2017 11:53 am
david fletcher
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
david fletcher wrote:

Yes to this one!  I prefer it-values are beautifully balanced. The background fits better, for some reason. Maybe it's done?? ;).

Thanks Cindy!

NSN00525

by Carol Clarke on Fri May 26, 2017 5:19 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Stunningly beautiful!  I love this version and can't imagine how it could be improved upon. 

Just perfect Dave.  Love it.   8)

Thanks to Mr Google I now know about Plop the Owl!   :wink:  
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri May 26, 2017 6:26 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Just discovered something! Looked at all our work on a different computer and the colors are MUCH more muted, especially reds and oranges. The computer I usually use has retina or whatever it is- LED , plus it's calibrated for my printer. What a difference! Makes me realize , though I should have remembered it, that we are likely all seeing something different. Possibly VERY different. The orange on the tree in this (original) picture is not nearly as intense as on my Mac. Hmmm. The question is, what does Dave see? I'll never know , of course, but it's something to keep in mind with my (our) comments.

Yeah, Carol, I found "Plop" too- how cute! This picture is perfect forihim!

by david fletcher on Sat May 27, 2017 3:15 pm
david fletcher
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Just discovered something! Looked at all our work on a different computer and the colors are MUCH more muted, especially reds and oranges. The computer I usually use has retina or whatever it is- LED , plus it's calibrated for my printer. What a difference! Makes me realize , though I should have remembered it, that we are likely all seeing something different. Possibly VERY different. The orange on the tree in this (original) picture is not nearly as intense as on my Mac. Hmmm.  The question is, what does Dave see? I'll never know , of course, but it's something to keep in mind with my (our) comments.

That is such a relevant point Cindy.  I'm on a iMac 27" job at home, and usually work it from a view of something that is close to what I want on a print, BUT, oft I'm working an image to show here, and shamefully, may be on an impulse.  So may be dependant on fatigue levels.. aka come home from work, enjoying the images I see and think, 

....oh I can add, so off I go.  (I'll pump up the contrast and sat' if tired, just because I'm not seeing it correctly....).

Point being that, as you said, I've oft looked at images from my work pc so am so used to not being concerned about some colour contrast issues, that when posting my own images, I haven't considered that others may see another view as I probably expect them to consider it anyway.  (If that makes sense..).  Ultimately, you can't beat a print for viewing but in many ways, the diversity of how we view is still a sweet feast.

ps  plop is so UK nice... (I've had so much pleasure from holding my young children, letting them fall asleep in my arms to Plop the Owl..who is afraid of the dark.....parenthood.. :D .)

NSN00525

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat May 27, 2017 4:53 pm
Cynthia Crawford
david fletcher wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Just discovered something! Looked at all our work on a different computer and the colors are MUCH more muted, especially reds and oranges. The computer I usually use has retina or whatever it is- LED , plus it's calibrated for my printer. What a difference! Makes me realize , though I should have remembered it, that we are likely all seeing something different. Possibly VERY different. The orange on the tree in this (original) picture is not nearly as intense as on my Mac. Hmmm.  The question is, what does Dave see? I'll never know , of course, but it's something to keep in mind with my (our) comments.

That is such a relevant point Cindy.  I'm on a iMac 27" job at home, and usually work it from a view of something that is close to what I want on a print, BUT, oft I'm working an image to show here, and shamefully, may be on an impulse.  So may be dependant on fatigue levels.. aka come home from work, enjoying the images I see and think, 

....oh I can add, so off I go.  (I'll pump up the contrast and sat' if tired, just because I'm not seeing it correctly....).

Point being that, as you said, I've oft looked at images from my work pc so am so used to not being concerned about some colour contrast issues, that when posting my own images, I haven't considered that others may see another view as I probably expect them to consider it anyway.  (If that makes sense..).  Ultimately, you can't beat a print for viewing but in many ways, the diversity of how we view is still a sweet feast.

ps  plop is so UK nice... (I've had so much pleasure from holding my young children, letting them fall asleep in my arms to Plop the Owl..who is afraid of the dark.....parenthood.. :D .)
Dave-those are such astute observations! But please no apologies!  Your work is wonderful, imaginative and it  is clear you are always progressing. Yeah, we all go too many steps beyond sometimes, but sometimes that works too.

Love hearing about your children. I used to read to my daughter looong ago-loved it.

13 posts |