Fox in the Winter Landscape

Posted by Ron Day on Sun May 21, 2017 5:51 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 18 posts | 
I've been working on this for awhile and recently concluded it was finished. Photoshop CS6, Topaz Impression II. 
Please click on image to view larger size. Thank you.

Posted by:
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Member #:00819

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun May 21, 2017 6:45 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
What a cool scene! (Pun intended) ;). Love the soft snowy textures -trees are really lovely . The path leads the eye nicely back while the fox stands thoughtfully by. Beautifully crafted and composed. Love the deep blue sky. Just curious if the fox was already there or if he/she was added in. (Or selected out from the snowy textures). It is very charming in the picture, I just think the fox seems to float a bit, perhaps because there is less white around the feet. Just my fussiness, no doubt. In any case, a really gorgeous scene. This is another picture that I suspects works more naturally on a wall seen from a distance, whereas I am pixel-peeping to some extent. (I guess it's my new take on viewing these creations in particular.. I'd be charmed to see it on my wall!).
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Sandy R-B on Sun May 21, 2017 11:23 pm
Sandy R-B
Forum Contributor
Love it! would love to see the original mage.
Very painterly, and the fox is the crowning touch.
Really beautiful work!
Sandy

by Mark Boranyak on Mon May 22, 2017 8:08 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
Lovely image. I agree, the fox makes it over the top.

Really nice work.

Mark

by david fletcher on Mon May 22, 2017 8:08 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
stunning work Ron. Outstanding. Love the textures... Understand what Cindy thinks on the fox. Love it Ron. pure artwork!
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by Mark Picard on Mon May 22, 2017 9:32 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Nice technique Ron! I believe the fox was added to the composition because fox are actually quite small (large house cat size), so when you compare the fox in the picture to the size of the tire tracks in the snow, you realize that that would be indeed too large proportionally to the overall scene. Hey, in these types of creative computer generated works of art, this is certainly accepted and desired - no harm, no foul!
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Ron Day on Mon May 22, 2017 1:43 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Sandy R wrote:Love it! would love to see the original mage.
Really beautiful work!
Sandy
Thank you, Sandy. :)  Here is a jpg copy of the raw file (click on it for full size view). The snowy scene was a combination of Hoarfrost (primarily on the trees) and snow. As you can see I cropped up from the bottom and in from the left, and I also cloned the top right corner. I spent quite a bit of time converting this scene into my vision, which was an "impressionistic" landscape. 

by david fletcher on Mon May 22, 2017 1:55 pm
david fletcher
Ron Day wrote:
Sandy R wrote:Love it! would love to see the original mage.
Really beautiful work!
Sandy
Thank you, Sandy. :)  Here is a jpg copy of the raw file (click on it for full size view). The snowy scene was a combination of Hoarfrost (primarily on the trees) and snow. As you can see I cropped up from the bottom and in from the left, and I also cloned the top right corner. I spent quite a bit of time converting this scene into my vision, which was an "impressionistic" landscape. 

Crikey Ron.. beautiful..  certainly works.  Love the effect in the sky.  (was posting earlier from my work pc and the definition is somewhat lacking compared to my iMac).  

NSN00525

by Ron Day on Mon May 22, 2017 2:06 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Mark Picard wrote:Nice technique Ron! I believe the fox was added to the composition because fox are actually quite small (large house cat size), so when you compare the fox in the picture to the size of the tire tracks in the snow, you realize that that would be indeed too large proportionally to the overall scene. Hey, in these types of creative computer generated works of art, this is certainly accepted and desired - no harm, no foul!
Thanks, Mark. I was creating an "impressionistic" landscape, so I thought it was obvious that the fox (as you note, oversized) was added to the scene. If the fox were to scale, it would have had little impact on the image, because it would have been so small.   :)

by Ron Day on Mon May 22, 2017 3:26 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Cynthia Crawford wrote:. . . . . Just curious if the fox was already there or if he/she was added in. (Or selected out from the snowy textures). It is very charming in the picture, I just think the fox seems to float a bit, perhaps because there is less white around the feet. Just my fussiness, no doubt. . . . . 
Yes, the fox was added, actually oversized a little so he would stand out more. Thanks, Cindy.  :)

by Ron Day on Mon May 22, 2017 3:31 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
Mark and David, thank you for taking the time to comment, it's greatly appreciated.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon May 22, 2017 6:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I like this a whole lot!@ Really well done!

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon May 22, 2017 9:16 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Wow Ron- the original is smashing! I can see why you wanted to work with it.

My comment about the fox wasn't actually related to size, but the idea that it's feet didn't seem quite settled in the snow-hence the floating feeling. I remember doing something similar, and it was hard to settle the pasted in figure to my satisfaction. Perhaps I'm super sensitive to that now. I'll try to find that one.
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Ron Day on Mon May 22, 2017 9:34 pm
Ron Day
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:I like this a whole lot!@  Really well done!
E.J. your input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

by Mako_Elite on Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 am
Mako_Elite
Forum Contributor
Fantastic work Ron. Now that I can compare to original JPEG, makes this even more interesting. I am glad that you made the fox larger...making it stand out.

by Carol Clarke on Fri May 26, 2017 5:25 pm
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator
Member #:00067
Once again I love the soft feel to this one Ron with the texture and brushwork you've added to enhance the original scene, and foxy fits in so well!
Carol Clarke
Chief Forum Administrator.

"When the power of love is greater than the love of power,
the world will know peace"....Jimi Hendrix.

NSN0067

by Cynthia Crawford on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:37 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Big congrats on EP Ron- well deserved!!

by david fletcher on Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 am
david fletcher
Big congratulations on the EP Ron. Well deserved. Looking forward immensely to your next artwork. Cheers

NSN00525

18 posts |