Northern Cardinal, cactus, altered

Posted by kml7090 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:38 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
Original image: female cardinal at cactus, Laguna Seca Ranch, Hidalgo county, south Texas, 1/1250 sec at f/9.0, ISO 2000, 400mm (EF200-400mm f/4> IS USM=1.4x) 
Shot from photo blind, female cardinal baited with peanut butter, afternoon. Laguna Seca is a photo ranch with blinds for wildlife photography. 
The image was exported as a tif then altered with masked layers of texture in Photoshop (I'm not sure how much detail is appropriate here).
Any constructive comments welcome.

Posted by:
kml7090
Forum Contributor

by Jeff Munoz on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:15 pm
Jeff Munoz
Forum Contributor
Member #:01802
I think it is a double demonstration of art, first because of the photo it self which is a lovely one, second because of the post editing which to me look like another expression of art. Greetings from Costa Rica!
Jeff Muñoz - Live the unique Photography Expeditions to Costa Rica with http://rainforestphototours.com

by stevenmajor on Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:21 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
You are making art. NSN is not about art, the word itself is almost never seen here. This culture here has a limited creative mindset primarily based on technology.
Your image:
I find the textures and colors very pleasing. As an observer of nature, the cardinal appears to be acting like a humming bird (for no apparent reason) and that type of cactus looks somewhat unnatural in a horizontal position.
It is difficult to be impressionistic with a camera because they are expressly designed not to be. Designed to record what it sees, not what anyone was thinking. For that, a pencil is far superior.

by kml7090 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:22 am
kml7090
Forum Contributor
stevenmajor wrote:You are making art. NSN is not about art, the word itself is almost never seen here.  This culture here has a limited creative mindset primarily based on technology.
Your image:
I find the textures and colors very pleasing. As an observer of nature, the cardinal appears to be acting like a humming bird (for no apparent reason) and that type of cactus looks somewhat unnatural in a horizontal position.
It is difficult to be impressionistic with a camera because they are expressly designed not to be. Designed to record what it sees, not what anyone was thinking.  For that, a pencil is far superior.

"This culture here has a limited creative mindset primarily based on technology. " What do you mean?
Also, the camera did make a record of what it "saw" - the pointilistic effect was added by software, not the camera.

by kml7090 on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:24 am
kml7090
Forum Contributor
kml7090 wrote:
stevenmajor wrote:You are making art. NSN is not about art, the word itself is almost never seen here.  This culture here has a limited creative mindset primarily based on technology.
Your image:
It is difficult to be impressionistic with a camera because they are expressly designed not to be. Designed to record what it sees, not what anyone was thinking.  For that, a pencil is far superior.

"This culture here has a limited creative mindset primarily based on technology. " What do you mean?
Also, the camera did make a record of what it "saw" - the pointilistic effect was added by software, not the camera.
Additionally, the category is called 'Photo and Digital Art' leading me to believe that NSN has a category about art.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:18 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
This post is perfectly appropriate to this forum and beautifully processed, with appropriate explanations. NSN does indeed encourage digital alterations which express creative and enhancing effects. Like it or not, many choose to call this work "art" with every justification. No judgement should be made about that , regardless of your opinion of the results.

Thank you for your post. I hope you are not discouraged by negative implications.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:31 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Meant to add a hearty welcome to NSN and to this forum!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Gene Gwin on Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:23 pm
Gene Gwin
Forum Contributor
Steven, I'm familiar with this type of cactus in South Texas, and the majority of this type of cactus usually does not grow straight up. They typically have some type of bend and can quite often end up horizontal, like this photo.

by kml7090 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:29 pm
kml7090
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:This post is perfectly appropriate to this forum and beautifully processed, with appropriate explanations.  NSN does indeed encourage digital alterations which express creative and enhancing effects. Like it or not, many choose to call this work "art" with every justification.  No judgement should be made about that , regardless of your opinion of the results.

Thank you for your post. I hope you are not discouraged by negative implications.
Don't worry - not discouraged. All tactful suggestions are welcome. I feel strongly that creativity continues after the shutter click here in the digital age and if this is not someone's cup of tea, purists can shoot purist photos with my blessings.
Though my Masters is biology, my Bachelor's is Fine Arts so I will always look into those forms of extreme post processing which interest me. Thanks for the kind words.
There is a lightly processed version of this and many other cardinals on my Flickr page for those who prefer them.

by Gary Briney on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:59 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Your image:
Please take the time to read the guidelines for P&DA, 
"...For posting and feedback of creative images produced and/or modified using any optical, digital or other technique. Images created should start with subject matter that meets the guidelines of any of the other image galleries..."

and NSN Forums
"...Dialog should remain courteous and civil to maintain a friendly atmosphere in the forums. NatureScapes.Net® reserves the right to edit or delete posts contrary to the intended use of these forums. Report offensive posts to the forum moderators. Repeated offenses by posters may force suspension of the member(s) from the forums. It is the intent to maintain a level of courteousness so that all members may enjoy the forum interaction. Debates and controversy pertaining to nature photography are appropriate when conducted cordially. Character attacks of any fashion have no place on these forums..."

Your post is not consistent with these guidelines.
G. Briney

by Eia on Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:49 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
I see this to be quite artistic. A cardinal flying to a cactus is unusual though they are found in the desert (here) often. Really like the textures on this.
~AnnaMaria~

by Katlady on Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:43 pm
Katlady
Forum Contributor
I love the image. I have shot at Laguna Seca too!
I love that you posted a lot of information I think that should be required on digital art images.
Great job!
Observing and recording nature should always be done with awe and the knowledge that it is a privilege to just be there!
        -Kathy Urbach-

by tigger88 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:59 am
tigger88
Forum Contributor
Very Nice!
I really like this image. I think it is perfect as is.
Great job.
My Photography & Digital Art Website:  http://www.jheintzphotography.zenfolio.com

My Flickr Website: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53880078@N06/

13 posts |