Belted Kingfisher

Posted by Katlady on Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
We watched and watched this guy from afar and then all of a sudden he was much closer on a very interesting perch. A small tree, that had no leaves that bordered the pond. As soon as I took this I knew I wanted to do something in B & W. The starkness just begged for monochrome. 

Post: I did a very simple conversion to B & W and then applied Topaz-Adjust-Sketch. I also intensified the black which brought out the starkness of the whites without losing detail.

Thanks for looking.

Comments welcome.
Observing and recording nature should always be done with awe and the knowledge that it is a privilege to just be there!
        -Kathy Urbach-

Posted by:
Katlady
Forum Contributor

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:45 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Hi Kat

I can see why you would want to do this- striking contrasts and that deep black really make the kingfisher pop. The tonal values are also very well done. I like the subtle use of Topaz sketch as well. I like this very much! Something in me , used to reading from left to right wants to do a horizontal reverse. Just me....
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Gary Briney on Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:39 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Lovely image Kat -- b/w works well here!
G. Briney

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:16 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Cynthia Crawford wrote:Hi Kat

I can see why you would want to do this- striking contrasts and that deep black really make the kingfisher pop. The tonal values are also very well done. I like the subtle use of Topaz sketch as well. I like this very much! Something in me , used to reading from left to right wants to do a horizontal reverse. Just me....
And...in retrospect...don't see any reason to reverse this image. Different days, different feelings, I guess!
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Katlady on Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:23 pm
Katlady
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:

And...in retrospect...don't see any reason to reverse this image. Different days, different feelings, I guess!

Too funny. I was going to do it just for you. So we could see......actually I wish I had just turned the bird around to face the open area. (Too much work!) Thanks for your input.
Observing and recording nature should always be done with awe and the knowledge that it is a privilege to just be there!
        -Kathy Urbach-

by Cynthia Crawford on Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:38 pm
Cynthia Crawford
Katlady wrote:
Cynthia Crawford wrote:

Too funny. I was going to do it just for you. So we could see......actually I wish I had just turned the bird around to face the open area. (Too much work!) Thanks for your input.
Ha ha! But if you turned the bird around it would be staring off into space! ;)

by Katlady on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:17 pm
Katlady
Forum Contributor
In regular bird photography you want the bird to have space in the direction they are looking but the tree here lends more to abstract. So much conversation ofn this little guy. LOL
        -Kathy Urbach-

by Cynthia Crawford on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:10 am
Cynthia Crawford
Katlady wrote:In regular bird photography you want the bird to have space in the direction they are looking but the tree here lends more to abstract. So much conversation ofn this little guy. LOL
Hmmm, I suppose....this is out of the box then.  That sharp beak looking the other way would lead me right out of the picture. I like that the bird has something to look at. Rules are made to be broken, eh?  :P

by Katlady on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:28 am
Katlady
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
Katlady wrote:In regular bird photography you want the bird to have space in the direction they are looking but the tree here lends more to abstract. So much conversation ofn this little guy. LOL
Hmmm, I suppose....this is out of the box then.  That sharp beak looking the other way would lead me right out of the picture. I like that the bird has something to look at. Rules are made to be broken, eh?  :P

I live my life, breaking the rules.
        -Kathy Urbach-

by MGohly on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:49 am
MGohly
Forum Contributor
Great contrast and great work…:)

10 posts |