All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Member #:01817
Here’s a good article that tells it like it is regarding photographers work being “taken” by users who do nothing to support your hard work obtaining images:

https://petapixel.com/2018/10/04/hey-photographers-when-you-give-it-away-you-diminish-all-of-our-work/

I’ve had plenty of people approach me with the same nonsense here in the US. Credits and exposure don’t pay my bills, nor get me more work!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Richard B. on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:43 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
I'm not in the business. I give away photos to relatives, friends, acquaintances who ask, and an occasional local, small, non-profit to whom I would offer a print for fund raising. Anybody else would have to offer some sort of compensation.

Richard

by Jeff Colburn on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:04 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
I don't give away my work. I may give a 10% discount to certain nonprofits. But the popular "Exposure" excuse is pure nonsense.

If someone from a business or nonprofit asks for free photographs, ask if the president and vice president of the organization work for free.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store 25 Places To Sell Your Photographs And Photography Skills and The Vanishing Old West - Jerome

by whitehead on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:42 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
I think its completely up to the individual - my whole retirement project is based on giving away my images...

thailandwildlife.com

In the past I have sold images through stock agencies but the prices these days are so low, I gave up as a waste of my precious time - you only got so long before you die, do what ever you want ;+)

by signgrap on Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
whitehead wrote:
I think its completely up to the individual - my whole retirement project is based on giving away my images...

thailandwildlife.com

In the past I have sold images through stock agencies but the prices these days are so low, I gave up as a waste of my precious time - you only got so long before you die, do what ever you want ;+)

Close to what I do now that I'm retired. I do pro bono photography for the local Nature Conservancy, the local Conservation District, the USFWS Wildlife Refuges in my area and my Rotary club. Keeps me busy and provides satisfaction that I'm helping organizations I believe in. I'm involved in a number of long term projects to visually show how areas are changing over the years. 
Dick Ludwig

5 posts |