All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Mark Picard on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:41 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Member #:01043
A client of mine is starting up a stained glass business and will be using some of my images as reference for the pieces he will produce (we worked out the details). However, he also wants to use some stained glass patterns that are in a book of patterns that he purchased, and asked me if I thought he could use those patterns in the book commercially for his work. The book he has obviously gives the public access to those patterns, but do you think he has the legal right to use them commercially like that. I told him I think he would be better off contacting the author of the book and asking permission to use them in that capacity. What's your take? Maybe Carolyn could chime in? Thanks for your help.
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by Dave Weber on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:13 pm
Dave Weber
Forum Contributor
Photography blogs are not where I get my legal advice from. Maybe you should hire a lawyer and get a proper legal opinion?

by Carolyn E. Wright on Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:56 pm
Carolyn E. Wright
Member #:00282
Public access does not give a license to use copyrighted works, even for editorial (non-commercial uses). You need permission from the copyright owner unless it's a fair use, which is often a difficult question. The book author may be providing a license through the book. It shouldn't hurt to ask the author.
Carolyn E. Wright, Esq.
Lawyer for Photographers and NSN Moderator
Photo Attorney® at www.photoattorney.com

by Mark Picard on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:13 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Dave Weber wrote:
Photography blogs are not where I get my legal advice from.  Maybe you should hire a lawyer and get a proper legal opinion?

Chill man, chill.....
Mark Picard

by Mark Picard on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:14 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Carolyn E. Wright wrote:
Public access does not give a license to use copyrighted works, even for editorial (non-commercial uses).  You need permission from the copyright owner unless it's a fair use, which is often a difficult question.  The book author may be providing a license through the book.  It shouldn't hurt to ask the author.

Thanks Carolyn - that's what I figured. I'll let him know..
Mark Picard

5 posts | 

People Who Like This: