Moderator: Carolyn E. Wright

All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:47 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
With the market for bird photos dying, Corbis being sold and Getty having changed their marketing strategies, my photo sales have dwindled greatly over recent years. I was looking at 500px last night, but really do not understand how it works. Their website is very poorly setup to get any info about the site and how it works. Can anyone here who uses 500px explain to me how you market your images there and how well they sell? My main photography subject is birds and I prefer to have my images marketed as "rights managed".

Much appreciated for any info about the 500px environment.

Tim

by ahazeghi on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:35 pm
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
Hi Tim,

I use 500px to display my work but I don't bother selling photos on it. I think I sold a few frames the first day I signed up but then I immediately killed the sell function. They give you a bigger chunk of the payment but the buyer can make unlimited impressions or derivatives of your  photograph with no expiry for whatever commercial application they want. The top-tier licensing that pays $300 per photo grants the right to resale which means someone can  print your photo and sell them in their art gallery or re-sell them online. 

Hope this helps

by Tim Zurowski on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:47 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks Arash. Why don't they tell you that on their website?

by ahazeghi on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:26 am
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
they do, it's here https://500px.com/settings/store/faq and here https://static.500px.net/docs/commercial_licensing_agreement.pdf

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:52 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Neither of those links work for me, because I don't do Facebook, Twitter or Google and I am not a registered member of 500px. I was unable to find any info about this at their main website,

by ahazeghi on Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 am
ahazeghi
Forum Contributor
that's strange, but you should be able to at least view this link without needing to sign in :

https://support.500px.com/hc/en-us/articles/204728177-What-license-types-are-available-for-purchase-

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:35 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks Arash . . . . . that link I can view and provides enough info to convince me that I do not want to join 500px :)

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:38 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Hi,

Thanks Tim and Ahazeghi. I was looking into 500px too, and like you Tim, I couldn't find much info. Now I know I won't be using them either.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store 25 Places To Sell Your Photographs And Photography Skills and The Vanishing Old West - Jerome

by Coreyhkh on Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:15 pm
Coreyhkh
Forum Contributor
I made a site over Christmas and have yet to sell a single photo, I would be surprised if anyone actually makes very much money of this site.
-------------------------------------
http://www.coreyhayes.net

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:12 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Fundamentally it's just another internet place where you can post your pictures for others to look at and comment. I posted there for maybe a month and quickly lost interest.

10 posts | 

People Who Like This: