Moderator: Carolyn E. Wright

All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 16 posts | 
by jnadler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:35 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
In this digital age, I'm finding a need still to have business cards. It seems a given as a nature photographer to have a photo on it. Yet the small size and trying to pick one photo representing me are issues. Full photo on one side? No photo?  Thoughts?
Jeff Nadler
Jeff Nadler Nature Photography
Moose-loons-325 bird species-Adirondacks

Last edited by jnadler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Charlie Woodrich on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:49 am
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Member #:00334
No photo!  A business card printer probably wouldn't do the image justice, and even if they did it would be too small to be effective.   Keep it simple.  If they want to see your stuff they can do it on line.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:03 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I definitely like to see a photo example on a photographers business card. I do print my own on photo paper without a manufacturers name on the back. I choose a clean image that looks good at a small size. Not using a photo is like not using an avatar on your NSN profile. Boring! Whether you are a nature photographer or an artist, the image you choose tells people something about your work without making any effort on their part. People nowadays are extremely visual and seem to want everything without extra effort.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Tom Reichner on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:48 pm
Tom Reichner
Forum Contributor
Charlie Woodrich wrote:
No photo!    If they want to see your stuff they can do it on line.

Interesting opinion.  My concern would be that if they don't see any eye candy on the business card, they will never bother to visit the website.  

While afield, I have exchanged business cards with a lot of other wildlife photographers, and the images featured on the cards have prompted many good conversations!

The best photo to use on a card is one that represents what you specialize in - the image that says the most about your brand of imagery.  

I find that an image with a lot of space (blurred out background, sky, etc) to one side of the subject works best, as that will provide a clean backdrop for the necessary text. I've seen cards with the subject centered, and the layout/design just never quite looks right, at least not to my eye.  But that is an aesthetic judgement, and, as such, it is inherently subjective.

It also makes sense to have different cards made for different clients.  The card that I give to my county's chamber of commerce will not necessarily be the one that I give to the editor of a hunting magazine.  It can be advantageous to make different cards for different purposes, each showing a different aspect of your work.

Wildlife photographed in the wild

http://www.tomreichner.com/Wildlife

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:45 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
I have a photo on my business card. I've had people say they like it so much they want to frame it. It's a picture of Aspens in the Fall. I have my name and phone number on the front and links to my sites on the back.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store 25 Places To Sell Your Photographs And Photography Skills and The Vanishing Old West - Jerome

by Mark Picard on Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:54 pm
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Member #:01043

Jeff - I firmly believe that you need to have a photo on your business cards....and the image should be what you specialize in if possible. Here's a sample of mine, front and back, with the front only having the image, my name, and my website listed. On the back, it's the same image, only printed at 40% and reversed so that the image appears to be showing through from the front of the card. All the other info is on the backside of the card. This moose image prints up very well despite it's small size on the card. I used very thick card stock with a velvety feel to it. Don't judge the colors or white balance from here- - I just took a handheld shot just now under fluorescent lighting with no post processing so you could see the card. :)
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops

by jnadler on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:50 pm
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Thanks all and especially Mark. That is a stunning business card.
Jeff Nadler
Jeff Nadler Nature Photography
Moose-loons-325 bird species-Adirondacks

by signgrap on Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:11 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Here's another vote for a photo on your card.
Carefully select your photo.
As others have mentioned it should depict your area of specialization.
Make sure the photo looks GREAT at a small size. This is extremely important. Print out quite a few images that you think would represent you well, AT THE SIZE IT WILL BE PRINTED ON YOUR CARD. Only after seeing the images at a small size do you select the best image for the card. Many images just don't look good when printed small. Use the front and back of the card. 
Dick Ludwig

by Pete Zwiers on Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:25 pm
Pete Zwiers
Lifetime Member
Member #:00411
Having owned a commercial printing company for 3 decades, I can honestly say I've probably seen more business cards than most people. For a photographer not to have a full colour photo on their card would be kind of crazy IMO. 

Have a full colour photo on one side (full image bleed, and no text), and your basic contact information on the back side is what I'd recommend. A killer photo is paramount of course. That shouldn't be a problem for any photographer who is good enough to have a business card, right?

Something else to consider would be having them done professionally (of course I'm biased!). This way you can put them onto a heavy duty card stock that has a terrific matte or gloss finish. I'm talking about a minimum 14pt card stock weight, so that when people hold onto the card it takes them by surprise. So many business cards might look good, but they practically feel like toilet paper - especially when done at home with pre-perfed stock you buy at Staples. Nothing ruins an image like those crude edges caused by perforated 8.5x11 sheets.

Something else to consider when ordering cards from a place that knows what they are doing (stay local so you can see a physical proof on the proper paper) ... ask them how much extra it would be to have maybe 4 or 8 different images for your cards. We print cards 24 up on a single sheet of paper, so it wouldn't be too difficult a request to do that many different photos. There would be an extra charge because it would take a bit more time to set up and more bindery time (cutting & sorting), but it could be a cool thing to do if you are into different types of photography.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:41 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Pete Zwiers wrote:
Have a full colour photo on one side (full image bleed, and no text), and your basic contact information on the back side is what I'd recommend. A killer photo is paramount of course. That shouldn't be a problem for any photographer who is good enough to have a business card, right?

I question using a full bleed with no text on a card. I prefer something like Mark's card front. A fair sized, high quality image and a space with at least partial contact info. My first business card was a full bleed high gloss image of a wet (from rain) newborn Mule deer fawn laying in the green grass on the front and my info on the back. A few people I gave it to said they had it on a mirror or taped to the side of their desktop because they liked the image. The contact info was not readily accessible. Sure they could get ahold of me if they needed to, but I like to have contact info ready at a glance. Another reason is that some people just scan a card into their computer or punch holes in it to file in a Rolodex. I think it is really better to have info on the front.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Steve Cirone on Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:45 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Depends.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Brad1 on Wed May 04, 2016 3:36 am
Brad1
Forum Contributor
You want to make your business card stand out from the rest. I've spent years networking and most cards are just put straight into a pocket or bag. Only an unusual card gets looked out.

I read years ago to put your own photo on your business card because people are more likely to keep it. For some reason they don't like to throw away something with a person's face on it.  At that time I looked through cards I had kept and sure enough the only card with a face on it had been kept for a long time.

So I'd say definitely add a photo

by Vivek on Thu May 05, 2016 8:38 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Check out Moo.com. I've had good luck with them - quality is great. Absolutely yes to the photo question!
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Kari Post on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:20 am
Kari Post
Forum Contributor
Member #:00959
Definitely a photo! Jerry Monkman has a slew of business cards with a photo on one side and contact info on the other. He has a bunch of different ones printed, at least a half dozen photos are represented on the collection but only one per card. By separating the photo (which is quite small) from the contact info, both are still clear and adequately sized.

If you only print one sided and are only able to get one card printed, then include one of your favorite, most iconic and simple photos (anything too busy will compete with the text and the details will get lost when it is printed so small). I find images with a similar color scheme and nothing with strong contrast to work best. The text should include your website at minimum, and the name of your business. Additional contact info, such as phone number and email, are up to you, but as long as folks can get to your website (and your website has contact info, which it should), then you are set.

The following are the two images I have used for my most recent business cards (I don't have photos of the actual business cards unfortunately). Both have plenty of open space to overlay text on and have a clear composition and subject that look good even when printed very small.

Kari Post, NSN Editor 2009-2013
Check out my Website and Instagram

by signgrap on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:27 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Yes by all means use a good photo on one side as Kari has described.
Your business card is probably one of your best marketing device.
As a photographer what better way to show people what you do than put a great photo on your card.
Dick Ludwig

by John P on Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:42 am
John P
Forum Contributor
Absolutely a photo on your business card! Your business card is a great marketing tool! choose a great picture that represents your style of photography!

16 posts | 

People Who Like This: