Moderator: Carolyn E. Wright

All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by ATJ on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:19 pm
ATJ
Forum Contributor
I have been approached by a production company involved in a comedy series who would like to use one of my photos on the cover of a magazine that will appear in the episode of the series.  It will appear onscreen for approximately 5 seconds.  The 6 episodes of the first season of the show had between 600 thousand and a little over a million viewers and the show is now available on DVD. 

Negotiations haven't yet started by I have absolutely no idea what to suggest as a fee.  I don't want to be greedy and it would be quite cool to have the photograph used in that way, but I also don't want to sell myself (or other photographers) short.

Suggestions?

by bradmangas on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:22 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
$250 tops, anything over that is just unreasonable.

by ATJ on Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 pm
ATJ
Forum Contributor
Note that I normally use Alamy to get a rough idea on what to charge but it doesn't have a "magazine cover in a comedy TV show" option. ;)

by edwardmendes on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:49 am
edwardmendes
Forum Contributor
This is a bit of a tough one. Generally however when dealing with sales like this the production company will often have a pre-determinded price they will offer right out of the box. This will give you some idea of weather or not it will be worth your while. There may be some room for negotiation however I would think not much. If you don't like what they offer they'll just get another image.

It does sound like a cool use of your image and I would go for it. Makes a great story!
Edward Mendes

Edward Mendes Photography and Workshops
Website and Workshops / Blog

by Tom Reichner on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:38 am
Tom Reichner
Forum Contributor
ATJ wrote:
Negotiations haven't yet started by I have absolutely no idea what to suggest as a fee.  I don't want to be greedy and it would be quite cool to have the photograph used in that way, but I also don't want to sell myself (or other photographers) short.

Suggestions?

It would seem unusual if you are expected to "suggest a fee".  Normally, those who purchase licensing rights tell you what they pay for said usage, and you either agree or they use an image from someone else.  Is there some reason you expect to have to come up with a figure yourself?
Wildlife photographed in the wild

http://www.tomreichner.com/Wildlife

by ATJ on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:03 pm
ATJ
Forum Contributor
We have agreed on £100 with which I am happy.

by Royce Howland on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:54 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
That's a fair price for this usage, IMO. A print-on-demand service I use has a pre-arranged licensing setup with one of the main US TV networks. The network can license service members' images to appear as a printed set decoration on a TV show produced by the network. The license fee is $100 USD per image, plus any profit built into the price of producing the print from the POD service.
Royce Howland

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I had a similar thing a few years back. I think we settled on $200.

by ATJ on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:43 pm
ATJ
Forum Contributor
The show with my photo in it finally aired this week. I can't say it is one of my proudest moments. The use it somewhat tacky. I'll be happier once BBC pay up.

9 posts | 

People Who Like This: