fbpixel

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 30 posts | 
by Vivek on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:54 am
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
Hmm, a very pertinent topic and one that needed to be discussed for a while IMO.

Not only are the definitions of "workshop" and "tour" not standardized in this market, they are usually used interchangeably by many who offer such services. I have only been on a few workshops / tours so far and the difference in the two terms ranged from none (as in both mean the same) to somewhat different. I did not have major problems with the key instructors in most of these workshops/tours. The reason for that is the level of expectation I had and the devil is always in the details.

I think it is critically important is for me to get details on the trip and I usually request more details if I don't get them via research so as to have the correct expectation.

I agree though a standardization of terms would be a great idea - workshop means more hands on help and instruction and tour means not a lot of instruction / handholding. In this case, for workshops I would NOT want the instructor to shoot whereas on a tour, I could live with some shooting. These two, if going to the same / similar geographic locations needs to be priced differently too.

Just my 2c.
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Steve Cirone on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:08 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
For me it has been getting the clients to the right places at the right time as per the light, which mostly implies tour.  After we get there I go into the "workshop" mode covering settings as they shoot.  I currently rarely photograph on tours or even carry a rig.  I find it takes me away from the clients.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by John Patrick on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:47 pm
John Patrick
Forum Contributor
As someone who has not attended a tour or workshop, I would have no problems with instructors shooting as long as the difference between a workshop and tour was spelled out in advance. It's really a matter of managing expectations. If you tell me you're taking me somewhere for me to take photographs on my own with no instruction, now I know what to expect.

Manage expectations, and I don't think you can go wrong.

John
--
Canon shooter

by Royce Howland on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:29 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I agree, clear communication and good management of expectations is the key. As an event leader if you're doing those things properly with your clients, and keeping your eye on the ball with them during the event as well, then it will matter a whole lot less what words you're using in the title. Having said that, people have a sense that certain words should mean something, so it pays not to create confusion by describing things with ambiguous or misleading terminology. Even if one is good at client communication, there's no point creating an artificial need for extra effort to reset the clarity before or after people arrive on location... :)
Royce Howland

by edwardmendes on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:27 pm
edwardmendes
Forum Contributor
I teach a number of workshops throughout the year and have always been of the mindset that my time in the field should be devoted to the improvement of my students so I don't create images for myself while with a group.  I do however make a number of images while talking with each participate in order to illustrate some of the compositions, lighting and subject elements I'm seeing while we're on location.  These images are usually handheld and are used as teaching tools.

It is true however that their is a difference between a tour and a workshop and I'd encourage anyone looking to maximize their enjoyment and benefit when choosing an instructor to do your research, call or email the instructor with questions and make sure the program is organized in the manner that meets your expectations.
Edward Mendes

Edward Mendes Photography and Workshops
Website and Workshops / Blog

by jimbo on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:14 am
jimbo
Forum Contributor
After two photography tours, some years ago, I would probably say never again. I have very little patience, with the social aspects of a tour. And the larger the group the more social things become. Call me rigid, but I prefer to do it my way.

by Primus on Thu May 01, 2014 4:23 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
jimbo wrote:
After two photography tours, some years ago, I would probably say never again.  I have very little patience, with the social aspects of a tour.  And the larger the group the more social things become. Call me rigid, but I prefer to do it my way.

I agree, sometimes the small talk can be burdensome and some people have their own agenda as I found out painfully.

However, for amateurs like myself there is a lot of comfort in going on a tour with a pro.  Turns out to be a lot more expensive, but depending on the location it may well be worth the money. I actually found the larger groups to be easier since you can always find a few like-minded people to hang out with. In a small 3-4 person tour if you are stuck with a bad apple there is no escape.

by Steve Cirone on Wed May 21, 2014 7:54 am
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
Jimbo,

Yes, I hear you on the "never again" on the social aspects of photo tours. I mostly stopped doing group tours. I now do one on one. Groups have too many differences in folk's ability and gear. If people want to go mostly for social reasons, there are many free meet up groups and photo clubs.

However, no way doing tours the way I do is profitable. My buzz is seeing the "ah-ha" moment. We squeak by on Social Security and extreme low overhead.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:21 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
I like Mark Picard's characterization of his role as a workshop leader.

by imagenes_vivas on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:26 am
imagenes_vivas
Forum Contributor
I've been leading workshops for almost 30 years now here in Spain, and since 5 years ago also tours abroad to other countries.

I heard a lot of critics from customers who went with other pro photographers that in their photo trips where only worried to make it's own pictures. The classic example of the photographer who organize tours only for paying it's own trip to the location. I think customers does not pay a lot of money for that.

But usually my customers also told me that they like to see how I work, and also they want to see the images I made in the same locations I have been with them. When doing the critic session they ask to see my pictures.

So now I take pictures, but much less than if I will be alone. I am more worried about their pictures that about mines. They pay me por that. Sometimes you miss some opportunities, but if you want do not miss anything, pay for your own trip.

30 posts | 

People Who Like This: