Moderator: Carolyn E. Wright

All times are UTC - 5 hours

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Monzi on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:22 pm
Monzi
Forum Contributor
I'm getting ready for a trip and I'm brining a lot of gear.  Wondering what insurance companies you folks use to insure your gear.

I have:
Canon 5D MK III
500mm/f4 L
100-400mm L
70-200 f/2.8 L I
24-70 f/28 L
+ several 580 EX II flashes coming with me and a carbon fiber tripod with RRS BH-50 ball head...  I'm not a professional photographer, just really like good gear!

Any help would be appreciated.  

Thanks
Rob Monsipapa
Mesa, AZ

monzi@netscape.net
Skype Name: Monzi001

by Royce Howland on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:13 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
I have a separate insurance policy from my regional State Farm, called a Personal Articles Policy, exclusively for my camera gear. It offers worldwide "all perils" coverage, with all items listed at scheduled replacement prices that I can update from time to time. This sort of thing has several advantages over just getting a rider on your home-owners policy, which a lot of people do. One advantage is no particular upper limit on the amount or value of gear that can be listed, and no limitations on travel use. Another is not getting your home policy terminated if you make a big camera gear claim, which has happened to people in some jurisdictions.

If you're a member of NANPA, there's a group insurance policy available to you through the organization. There are a few other options as well. Search the forum archives and you'll find a number of threads discussing this...
Royce Howland

by lesliejmorris on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:30 pm
lesliejmorris
Forum Contributor
If you are not a professional the you can get a separate rider to your homeowners policy. I insure mine through my AAA Homeowners Policy and it is affordable (I have even more stuff than you do!) But now I am afraid of making a claim by what Royce said above! If you are a professional, you will need something separate. I am going to have to look into professional insurance soon. I am a NANPA member and will look there first.

by Tombenson on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:41 pm
Tombenson
Forum Contributor
The National Association of Press Photographers offers a plan as well.

by Rhett on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:20 pm
Rhett
Lifetime Member
Member #:01389
I saw a post where an insurance agent actually found their client and complemented them on their photographs. I suspect he was actually verifying whether they were indeed selling pictures. I have an inland marine policy. I told the agent, I was not a professional, but I wanted to make sure it covered me in case I did something stupid. Make sure you discuss whether you will need coverage internationally as well. My understanding is the inland marine policy does.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:27 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I recommend getting replacement cost coverage, as it will cover the equipment for current retail replacement prices.
Here's a link that might be of interest to you:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=233825

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by amullis on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:35 am
amullis
Forum Contributor
I insure through USAA for full replacement cost coverage. They will cover me for anything like a dropped lens, theft from a rental car or hotel room. I can go on line and update the policy anytime and the changes take effect at midnight. I would also record all your gear serial numbers on a spreadsheet just in case you need to fill out a police report. Good luck!

by westskies on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:01 am
westskies
Forum Contributor
Rob,

I also use the personal articles policy from State Farm. As stated they will cover the full replacement value. My agent has even allowed me to insure the replacement value of my 600 for the current replacement price of the new 600. I was careful to ask about things like using equipment with a camera trap and shipping. The camera trap set up would not be covered because you willfully left it unattended. For shipping though, you do not need to purchase additional insurance, as you delivered it to a qualified shipper and therefore they take responsibility and State Farm will insure.

Hope it helps and call me if you need my agents name, he is over by Las Sendas.

Steven
Steven Lewis
www.westskies.com

by bretedge on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:58 am
bretedge
Forum Contributor
Member #:01195
I have a business liability policy with inland marine coverage on all of my photography gear through American Family.  If you make no money at all through photography you might be fine with a personal articles policy.  You should ask your insurance agent if your gear is covered if damaged/destroyed in the field, i.e. tripod tipping over and shattering a lens (or worse).  This is often not covered by regular insurance policies but usually is covered by an inland marine policy.

Good luck.

9 posts | 

People Who Like This: