« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 1 post | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:05 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... edges-ban/

excerpts:

“I am hugely encouraged by this, but I am also very wary because I know how these things can drift with the pendulum of concern,” said Iain Douglas-Hamilton, one of the world’s most renowned elephant conservationists and founder of Save the Elephants. “What we are seeing by and large is that the uncontrolled killing of elephants is continuing in most of Africa, although there are some bright spots.”

“It’s a long fight,” he said. “We’ve been through this before, back in the eighties. We beat it then, so we’ve got to try and beat it again.”

What do you all make of this ?

As I commented in another post, Roberta's comments here might be particularly enlightening because she obviously recalls that an ivory ban did work in the 80's and believes one will work today.   

If I understand what I am hearing.......My best friend (fellow Wildlife Biologist), has feelings at least somewhat similar to Roberta's.  

He says:

1.  CITES has not worked. 
2.  It is going to take stopping the demand; i.e. the poachers do not want to do this but they have to feed their families.

I would love to believe that this Xi Jinping ban is going to punch a huge hole in the elephant slaughter.  

Of course you all feel that way too.
Topic Locked  

1 post |