pleverington
Forum Contributor
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by stevenmajor on Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:56 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
A powerful image evoking disgust...a real stomach turner.

I suspect only the first of many like images that will be FORCED upon NSN viewers by the unhappy with the world gang.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:52 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
stevenmajor wrote:A powerful image evoking disgust...a real stomach turner.

I suspect only the first of many like images that will be FORCED upon NSN viewers by the unhappy with the world gang.

You feel forced??  Who forced you to do what??   Who's unhappy with the world??? Every person on earth is unhappy with some things in the world, but that doesn't mean they are not at the same time happy, even elated, with other things about the world. How would the world's problems and injustices get fixed if those problems and injustices are not Identified?

Anyways the story behind this adorable fellow has a happy ending. Being a tree climber by instinct, and trying to traverse a highway, he got frightened and clutched onto the only vertical thing he could see for protection. The police arrived and were delighted at helping him out of his dilemma.They took him to the vet, he got a checkup,and was released into his natural habitat. But you should have seen the look on all the peoples faces as they rescued this little one. And that got me really thinking about the power of empathy not only in our lives but in all life. Maybe the single most powerful part of all living things that allow them to survive. Think about it...empathy....to feel what another feels...where would the world be without it?? That's what I was trying to make a point of.....That and the fact that roads without means for animals to cross are barriers that lead to billions of deaths. As we build more we'll need more roads and I feel it's irresponsible to build roads and highways with not even the slightest thought for wildlife needing to get across.

Steve don't you think your just mistaking frustrated people who do not want to see the world go to pot with maybe someone like a conspiracy person, or a person with a paranoia problem or anger problem?

Are we all better off not knowing...staying ignorant of the worlds environmental problems?

Well there's lots of other forums for you to hang out in and be surrounded by the beautiful....

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by WDCarrier on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:29 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
A preponderance of the posts in this forum deal with accelerating problems in the preservation our natural communities and their denizens world-wide. Certain of these posts focus on global issues (human population growth) while others deal with site-specific issues (ivory poaching). Obviously, it is important that intelligent educated people are aware of these occurrences, as unpleasant as they may be. Sadly, few, if any, of these posts propose actual viable solutions to these problems, not that there are viable solutions. Economics, politics and religion will demand we stay the course until there is a biological reckoning, either as Robert indicated, a world-wide pandemic, or an expedited collapse of societies, leading to pestilence and war. Can we stop it? Possibly. Will we? That’s doubtful.

It would be wonderful to believe, as many do, that there will always be a natural world; that things we see today will always be there. Unfortunately, history and biological science tells us that’s extremely unlikely to happen. The changes I’ve seen in my 55 years as a biologist are astronomical, little of which I experienced in my early years is ever going to be again. I’m pessimistic that we’ll make it to the 22nd century unscathed, if at all.

Years ago on a trip to the Serengeti in East Africa, we drove through several square kilometers of scores of termite mounds. Spaced 50-100 meters apart, all were abandoned. The termites colonized a site; built an elaborate structure; bred and prospered, sending workers out for food to bring back and feed the colony. As the food became scarcer and scarcer near the colony they had to forage further afield, finally reaching a point where energetics became negative, it took more energy to acquire food than it provided, and the colony began to decline. Finally, in desperation, the remaining animals packed up and moved to the next area where food was plentiful, only to repeat their mistake: building, breeding and initially, prospering before another crash. As the colonies converged on each other they reached the extent of suitable habitat and disappeared.

Our suitable habitat is earth. Unfortunately, I see a similar course as the fate of humanity.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:54 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Anyone who watches mainstream news, or even Yahoo News, would have probably seen this image and the story behind it. It's good to see them posted here for those who don't watch mainstream news. As Paul said, wildlife corridors should always be considered in areas where needed, although they may not have helped this sloth. These images in this link below show them working for elephants and other animals who would be in danger or endanger drivers, as well:

http://www.google.com/search?q=wildlife ... 24&bih=690

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

5 posts |