Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:34 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
What caused me to post this is the virus news the WHO is talking about now.

The African human pop growth by say.....2050, will bring the world to its heels.  

1.  Aren't we seeing the beginnings of the worst of it right now ?  

2.  Realistically, don't you only have this link from which to pick your poison ? 

I must say that my heart is now going out to all African wildlife.  And as the wildlife continue to disappear, we will listen to organizations such as Save the Children plead with us to send money so they can futilely work to sustain an unsustainable human population growth.....not even addressing the root of the problem. 

3.  Why is "the world" not talking about how incredibly irresponsible people are reproductively ? Why ?  Can someone answer this please ?

4.  Should we expect to see a biological agent (maybe insect-vectored) that will "readjust" Africa's soaring human population growth?  I am sure of it.  

But what say you?     

Robert 
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:43 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
I just became aware of this African projected population growth watching a video less than a week ago. This guy put forth a lot of interesting info and wanted to convince everyone that the worlds population will stabilize itself at 11 million. And that was going to be sustainable and A-OK.......

The video is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McJmhkqpTAM

In it he also states that Africa will quadruple in population...more than anywhere else on the planet . I'm watching it and watching all the people agreeing with him cause he's telling them everything is alright, and reading comments that hold up his POV as brilliant and insightful, but all the while I'm in horror. He's a statistician and hideously misses the whole problem IMO. Yes what will happen to Africa...to the worlds wildlife and ecosystems when we are at 11 million...........the projected stabilized population of the earth in the near future.

Watch the video and start asking questions. Pandemics, resource scarcity, pollution, loss of wildlife and habitat are just a few I can start with. What else will be a problem I wonder?

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by Paul Fusco on Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:28 pm
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Where's an asteroid when you need one???
P
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:30 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Paul Fusco wrote:Where's an asteroid when you need one???
P
:lol:  Where do I get such a bumper sticker?   

Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:35 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Where is that cartoon showing Earth in space with the doctor giving it the bad news ......."You have humans" ?

How about adding that asteroid comment to it in one way or another ?

Wouldn't that be funny ?

Who can draw up something in a hurry ?
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:37 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:
Paul Fusco wrote:Where's an asteroid when you need one???
P
:lol:  The magic of thinking big.  Where do I get such a bumper sticker?   

Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:00 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:I just became aware of this African projected population growth watching a video less than a week ago. This guy put forth a lot of interesting info and wanted to convince everyone that the worlds population will stabilize itself at 11 million. And that was going to be sustainable and A-OK.......

The video is here:

In it he also states that Africa will quadruple in population...more than anywhere else on the planet . I'm watching it and watching all the people agreeing with him cause he's telling them everything is alright, and reading comments that hold up his POV as brilliant and insightful, but all the while I'm in horror. He's a statistician and hideously misses the whole problem IMO. Yes what will happen to Africa...to the worlds wildlife and ecosystems when we are at 11 million...........the projected stabilized population of the earth in the near future.  

Watch the video and start asking questions. Pandemics, resource scarcity, pollution, loss of wildlife and habitat are just a few I can start with. What else will be a problem I wonder?

Paul
Started to view this video Paul.  Do not have time to get through it completely now.  But I am quite certain I will in the next few days.  I can tell you right now that this guy is not on the same page as I am.  His projections are probably right.  But as I scan ahead in the video, I doubt he is going to even touch on wildlife.  

See..... this is MY point Paul.  And from My perspective, My point is important to Me.   Hold on now.  You folks say, well Robert, aren't you being selfish.  Yes I am.   Yes, I understand that this is selfish.  So is sex.  So are the ambitions of every single individual human on this Earth.   It is very obvious that the overwhelming majority of humans, especially in Asia and Africa....think completely differently than Robert does.  

That does not mean I have to accept their way of thinking.  

The future does not leave room for non-human manipulated nature or non-human-controlled nature.  

And this is and will continue to be unacceptable to those who think like me.  And there are plenty like me but we must be the minority.

Very interesting to me that Europe's pop growth is decreasing. 

I am asking that the world start talking about each person only having one child....or if they should choose....not even one.    Ok, he reasons that this does not take into account that the older ones are going to live longer.  

I doubt he his going to even mention this:  With all these organ transplants we are now having, what is to stop humanity from reaching a point where the wealthy can simply have parts changed out?

More later.

Thanks for the input.

Again, what say you?
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:42 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:
pleverington wrote:I just became aware of this African projected population growth watching a video less than a week ago. This guy put forth a lot of interesting info and wanted to convince everyone that the worlds population will stabilize itself at 11 million. And that was going to be sustainable and A-OK.......

The video is here:

Paul
Started to view this video Paul.  Do not have time to get through it completely now.  But I am quite certain I will in the next few days.  I can tell you right now that this guy is not on the same page as I am.  His projections are probably right.  But as I scan ahead in the video, I doubt he is going to even touch on wildlife.  

See..... this is MY point Paul.  And from My perspective, My point is important to Me.   Hold on now.  You folks say, well Robert, aren't you being selfish.  Yes I am.   Yes, I understand that this is selfish.  So is sex.  So are the ambitions of every single individual human on this Earth.   It is very obvious that the overwhelming majority of humans, especially in Asia and Africa....think completely differently than Robert does.  

That does not mean I have to accept their way of thinking.  

The future does not leave room for non-human manipulated nature or non-human-controlled nature.  

And this is and will continue to be unacceptable to those who think like me.  And there are plenty like me but we must be the minority.

Very interesting to me that Europe's pop growth is decreasing. 

I am asking that the world start talking about each person only having one child....or if they should choose....not even one.    Ok, he reasons that this does not take into account that the older ones are going to live longer.  

I doubt he his going to even mention this:  With all these organ transplants we are now having, what is to stop humanity from reaching a point where the wealthy can simply have parts changed out?

More later.

Thanks for the input.

Again, what say you?
I'm with  you of course....Like I said, he's into statistics, and those type of people are rather annoying. Maybe people want  everything all bundled up in a nice little package so they can  forget about the problem....but life is intricate, connected, complicated, and huge....any discussion on overpopulation has to include not only things that affect humans but the rest of the planet too...

We need knowledge and lot's more of it. The only thing that is going to save us, if at all,  is our brains...  If we don't use them and haven't invested in our knowledge base, we are destined to most likely fail on some level or another..

11 billion people is a lot more than we have now. But watch the video. His population numbers are truth, but his conclusion that there is not much to worry about is a travesty as it leaves out everything but humans in conclusion..

At our present rate try to imagine how much more meat will be needed to feed an additional 4 billion people. How many Oregon wildlife refuge take over wars then?? And what would happen if anything.... be it a pandemic disease in us, feed animals or plants, .......a war or several wars, ........a bad crop year or decade of years due to drought, soil depletion, too much rain, ......an asteroid, ......insect invasions from too much imbalance, ....major climate change, and whatever else..

Like those cities under siege during WWII, first everyone will eat everything off the store shelves, then they will eat all the wildlife they can find..even the crows and pigeons and worms and insects, then their pet cats and dogs and canaries, then the bark off the trees, shoe leather,..... then each other.

If that happens to the world, nothing will stop everyone's drive for food. And all of the land wildlife could be wiped out in a matter of a couple of years. Some species almost immediately. The worlds oceans would suffer the same devastation....

And how cheap would the individuals life become if the planet is busting at the seams with us..

There just is not enough buffer at 11 plus billion people on this planet. We would have to be absolute masters of maintaining balance of this planet within the next 100 years and I don't see that as even remotely possible.

Basically, it's as if we are indeed still a member of the natural processes that we so openly deny, you know the ones that also regulate all the other creatures and life here...so IOWs ...once the food and resources get all used up, starvation serves to bring population levels back down to sustainable levels...and it ain't very pretty when this happens....

Paul

** he does cover old people even getting older...He's actually got a lot of things nailed...it's what he leaves out that is the problem the way I see it....All in all for the scope he covers the video is great, but as far as conclusions the video is not only deceptive and misleading but also very, very dangerous...

**Maybe time to get serious about Mars........
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:09 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
We have all been here before but just for quick reference:

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:43 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Here is a question...Do you think it is more important to control Africa's population growth or America's with our huge carbon foot print and using most of the earth's resources comparing individuals of the 2 continents?
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:43 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Here is a question...Do you think it is more important to control Africa's population growth or America's with our huge carbon foot print and using most of the earth's resources comparing individuals of the 2 continents?
Very, very good question Mike. Of course your right....1 American probably uses what 20 Africans do on average....

IMO in reality both present a huge problem, but are assaults on 2 different fronts. The American and his population being rather affluent for the most part has a huge imprint on carbon content and is responsible for huge losses of land habitat. The African with his desperation or near so is on the edge and will feel  any ripple in world economy more so than the American. If there is 4 times as many Africans as today It would certainly be maybe 4 times as hard to keep them fed, educated,and healthy. The threat there is to wildlife and in a direct way. Two sort of different problems both equally in need of fixing. Each an assault on nature but on somewhat different fronts.

Found this ...

http://www.census.gov/popclock/

The US is not growing in population very much...relatively speaking. A lot of our increase is due to immigration...something that if we wanted to is easier to control than birth rates.

Mike in answer to your question I don't think America's population is the problem. We ......except for a handful of sport hunters, are not going out into the wild to kill everything anymore because our industrial and technological advantage allows us to spare such things as we mass genocide captive domestic animals to supply our needs. Africa Isn't as far along in that sort of development. But it's all a mess the more I look at it and do the research. I hope if Africa ever does come up to our speed they won't base it on our mistakes. But I doubt it.....

If we didn't use 40% to60% of our land to support animal product we would be burgeoning in wildlife habitat similar to Costa Rica (just my opinion). But there is a lot of factual basis for this thought....

The whole problem of course is the oil and carbon based energy economy. So until that changes we are the problem and a big one.

Hey everyone...put a solar panel up on your roof...even if it's just supplying electricity for a night light it will send a message by example to everyone who sees it there. And cut way back on animal product consumption....The time has come......

Paul
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by WDCarrier on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:05 am
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
The late great Christopher Hitchens explained the problem with three words..."Religion poisons everything."
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]
Topic Locked  

12 posts |