All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:17 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Paul,

Where have you been ?  You ok ?  We've been thinking about you.  Have not heard from you in months it seems.   We've all been wondering now and again why you have not been around.  If I have, they have.....and I was just wondering about a week ago why I have not seen your name on this forum.  

Anyway Paul, I can see your point about Joe....and I think it's that darned 2010 Camero of his !  That is a sure indication of pure opulence.  That's the problem right there.  Show offs is what they are !  I mean, just look at the insurance !

Seriously though, here today, we were discussing home heating modes.  A guy I know, John, is  installing a Jotul stove insert in his fireplace.  John heats with all wood......100%.  One guy suggested I ought to use wood pellets.  Nope I said, oil is too low this winter.   I do have a newish furnace and it is so easy to just turn up the thermostat.  But like you are saying Paul, it's about all of us.  I would rather have the convenience of oil now then burn, say dry hardwood or buy a pellet stove and switch over to that.  I would be doing my part to get us off the foreign oil, but.... nope, I am too old and lazy to heat with wood anymore.  And after the conversations you guys have been into about fracking and wasting energy and so on......I am glad now that I decided against switching to natural gas a few years frack. :P  Now that I know through Joe's links, what fracking causes, there is no way I would ever switch to it.   But it sure is convenient isn't it?  Did I get that right?  Do they frack for natural gas?  No?

So they worked and worked on getting that Jotul insert in for John.  John has a serious lung disease and really cannot do this work himself....even if he had the time.  So Dave came over and was on his hands and knees cleaning out jet black soot.  He was covered from head to toe.  Dave will dive into any nasty, dirty work and just do it....no matter what it takes.  Johns wife was being a nice helper as she vacuumed as much of the soot as she could possibly suck up with that machine.  

Of course, during all this time John had to keep his distance and just watch.  Well, after they were nearing the end of the job, Dave really needed help cleaning up.   So John's wife, being that nice person she is, held up the vacuum hose and innocently asked Dave, "Would you like me to suck you off too?"  Honestly, she is just as helpful and nice as she can be.   So we got a lot of work done and had a few laughs too.  :)

Robert
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:27 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Joe...

be on the lookout for cheaper subsidized solar panels. I say this because after that climate change summit Obama was saying we need to set a goal of getting off oil by 2050. I'm not sure exactly what that means but to even get close the US will need to do similar as Germany but more so in the next 35 years. This would have to include some real incentives for people like you to put panels on your roof. Like no cost down to you, a subsidized payment for watts produced guaranteed and backed by the government so banks have no risk to make the loan, then after the loan is paid off the panels and all electricity produced is all yours. Who wouldn't put panels on their house unless they lived under a bridge. Surely something is coming down the pike much sooner than later.

The other thing is and I just saw this in a science show last night, solar panel nano technology is projected to increase their efficiency up to 80% once they get it engineered. Couple that with new battery technology these would be total game changers.

Living at 7000  feet you will or should pick up better efficiency than someone at sea level given the same solar panel.
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

Last edited by pleverington on Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:34 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Paul,

Where have you been ?  You ok ?  We've been thinking about you.  Have not heard from you in months it seems.   We've all been wondering now and again why you have not been around.  If I have, they have.....and I was just wondering about a week ago why I have not seen your name on this forum.  

Anyway Paul, I can see your point about Joe....and I think it's that darned 2010 Camero of his !  That is a sure indication of pure opulence.  That's the problem right there.  Show offs is what they are !  I mean, just look at the insurance !

Seriously though, here today, we were discussing home heating modes.  A guy I know, John, is  installing a Jotul stove insert in his fireplace.  John heats with all wood......100%.  One guy suggested I ought to use wood pellets.  Nope I said, oil is too low this winter.   I do have a newish furnace and it is so easy to just turn up the thermostat.  But like you are saying Paul, it's about all of us.  I would rather have the convenience of oil now then burn, say dry hardwood or buy a pellet stove and switch over to that.  I would be doing my part to get us off the foreign oil, but.... nope, I am too old and lazy to heat with wood anymore.  And after the conversations you guys have been into about fracking and wasting energy and so on......I am glad now that I decided against switching to natural gas a few years frack. :P  Now that I know through Joe's links, what fracking causes, there is no way I would ever switch to it.   But it sure is convenient isn't it?  Did I get that right?  Do they frack for natural gas?  No?

So they worked and worked on getting that Jotul insert in for John.  John has a serious lung disease and really cannot do this work himself....even if he had the time.  So Dave came over and was on his hands and knees cleaning out jet black soot.  He was covered from head to toe.  Dave will dive into any nasty, dirty work and just do it....no matter what it takes.  Johns wife was being a nice helper as she vacuumed as much of the soot as she could possibly suck up with that machine.  

Of course, during all this time John had to keep his distance and just watch.  Well, after they were nearing the end of the job, Dave really needed help cleaning up.   So John's wife, being that nice person she is, held up the vacuum hose and innocently asked Dave, "Would you like me to suck you off too?"  Honestly, she is just as helpful and nice as she can be.   So we got a lot of work done and had a few laughs too.  :)

Robert

Oh Jeezzz did that story sure make me laugh!!! I had no idea where you were  going with it!! The punch line caught me totally by surprise!  :lol: :lol: :)

I bet what Joe didn't tell us about that camero is that he had the back end jacked and installed an air scoop...probably has a pair of dice hanging on the mirror and chrome shock absorbers!  All that southwestern cooking he's eating he better have some good seat covers too... :wink:
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:05 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
pleverington wrote:
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Paul,

Robert

Oh Jeezzz did that story sure make me laugh!!! I had no idea where you were  going with it!! The punch line caught me totally by surprise!  :lol: :lol: :)

I bet what Joe didn't tell us about that camero is that he had the back end jacked and installed an air scoop...probably has a pair of dice hanging on the mirror and chrome shock absorbers!  All that southwestern cooking he's eating he better have some good seat covers too... :wink:
Oh, you are right. At least all that.  And don't forget the Brodie wheel. :)
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:27 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Real adobe, Paul, with no asphalt stabilization, like newer ones! My dad built the house and made many of the adobes himself.

Joe
Very nice Joe....When I lived in Sells AZ on the Tohono O'odham reservation(formerly named Papago) I did live in a pure mud brick house. And despite the roof being different it was totally cool until about 3 where it warmed a bit and stayed warm most all night. Not perfect but with little extra like a small ac, it would be fine. I think the place where we as a civilization went wrong is building a nation wide infrastructure of houses and commercial buildings on the foundation of ridiculously cheap oil, and now we are stuck with it all. No thick insulation or insul-windows, no passive solar considerations, non utilization of ground heat, stick square construction....in so many ways it was so much easier to build stupidly cause your gas heat bill was like 20-30 dollars and gas at the pump was 30 cents.....I remember these days. So now we inherited all this junk that we try and update, with some success, but really we need to consider starting from scratch with efficiency and materials used and solar all in mind. Adobe like rammed earth is an awesome way to go. Not everywhere of course, but much of the world could go that way.

So if anyone is thinking about building a house try and think about it in a total environmental way.

Also everyone, there is a solar power convention held I think somewhere every year. If you can....... GO!!!  You will learn so much about solar, and in my case what you can accomplish in the passive ways....

Paul

I did have this problem of lizards burrowing through the mud brick in the morning everyday trying to get inside to stay cool all day..That was fun..
Paul Leverington

Last edited by pleverington on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:29 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Oh yeah the Brodie...I forgot about that one!!
Paul Leverington
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:20 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Joe, seriously

You're the best.  I still do not know how you are able to come up with all the supporting links as quickly as you do.  Really, you are a very prolific environmental writer.  And I think you said all of this has happened to you in a span of just several years.  I am genuinely appreciative of your expressions of a deep concern for "what remains of nature", and I wish there were many more millions out in the world like you.  You are bound to reach countless numbers of people.  Keep it up! :)

And thanks for that image Joe.  I hope that someone comes up with a similar one of an elephant baby with its poacher-killed mother.  

Thank you

Robert 
Topic Locked  

27 posts |