OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
He's not mincing any words.

http://raymondbarlow.blogspot.ca
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:21 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Everything is matters of degree...I notice on down in his blog he is using baited captive birds as his photo subjects; while this guarantees a good shot, it does not fit my idea of nature photography.
Topic Locked  

by chuckkl on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:54 am
chuckkl
Forum Contributor
Not into baiting, myself....but this is what bugs me. In past seasons, someone I know...who baits Snowy owls..... arrives in late afternoon.
He goes alone...way out in the fields...far from roads....attracting the bird away from dangerous traffic.

Sounds good....well I arrive , hoping once again to see a familiar owl, near the roadside...or not too far away.....and here's this guy...who's attracted "my" owl...way, way into the fields......so I've just done a long ride up from town............... but no bird for me to photograph....bummer !

Finally...to tell the truth...it's fun to see Snowys in action.......but in the end...all the great shots...by many people...just become a commodity....like.....ball point pens...

My non-baited Snowy owl photos:

http://www.pbase.com/hootpix/snowy
Topic Locked  

by Mike Veltri on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 pm
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
Wilson, I just sent you a pm. This was not the original post, as that one was taken down.

Not sure why you always post controversial subjects and many about baiting over the years.

Each winter its the same old same old, and this winter up here in Ontario, the birders are at it again worse then ever.

People have uttered threats of violence against photographers caught baiting, on social media. Is this were you read it?
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:36 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I like to take a balanced view of things. I try and NOT take any side on this particular subject.  I don't because I see pros and cons for both views.  I can't take a side and it's good to read the views and opinions from both points of view.  The extremists on either side just make themselves look bad and lose credibility for whatever they are spouting whether for or against. These controversial things are a fact of life in wildlife photography and by not even talking about it doesn't mean it isn't happening.  The controversial topics are just a reflection of what's actually happening.  You will notice that I post opinions and links to both sides.  

I admit to not knowing what is going on in other areas of Ontario as I am mainly focused on the Ottawa area.  And because I am on a limited number of social media sites and most do not have anything to do with photography. You know, if someone makes a threat of violence, report it to the police.  Making threats is not taken lightly. People may not want to do that but it is their job to take care of things like that.  People put up with too much nonsense these days and reward those who do such things.  Or just ignore them. You and I both know that the feeding of owls is totally legal in Ontario. 

Can you share a link to the social media sites you refer to?  I did not find it on any social media site.  It was posted on his own blog on Pbase.  I post on Pbase.  Based on what I read in his blog, he is simply ticked off that because he himself does not bait, he often loses photo ops when people decide to feed the owls nearby.  Put yourself in his shoes.  It gets to him and he has to vent. Locally I have run into some locals at a certain area in town and they don't think it is fair at all that some workshop is monopolizing certain owls. 

Last edited by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Locked  

by chuckkl on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:26 am
chuckkl
Forum Contributor
"  Locally I have run into some locals at a certain area in town and they don't think it is fair at all that some workshop is monopolizing certain owls.  "

Totally agree here............As long as those complaining about fairness,,,,,,are NOT baiters themselves !
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:18 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
chuckkl wrote:"  Locally I have run into some locals at a certain area in town and they don't think it is fair at all that some workshop is monopolizing certain owls.  "

Totally agree here............As long as those complaining about fairness,,,,,,are NOT baiters themselves !

These are people who are only out to photograph the owls.  People who feed the owls will go and feed it themselves anyways.  No one owns the owls.  If someone wanted to start something because of that, then there is going to be a big controversy and attract a lot of attention.  And if police are involved, the media will likely be out there too. 
Topic Locked  

by Mike Veltri on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:26 am
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
As I believe this is one of the best sites on the internet for bird photography as well as other forms of the art of photography, I will not be sucked into a debate over feeding birds, that some people call baiting. To me to bait, sound like your luring an animal in for a kill which is never the case.

Trying to discredit people on Facebook or threaten or bully people by posting names of good photographers on social media sites because they are making a few dollars sounds more like jealousy than anything else.

I use to post here, and may do so again in the future...

Lets all enjoy the art of photography, and if people could mind their own business the world would be a better place.

Nuff said.. Mike
Topic Locked  

by Mike Veltri on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:28 am
Mike Veltri
Forum Contributor
As I believe this is one of the best sites on the internet for bird photography as well as other forms of the art of photography, I will not be sucked into a debate over feeding birds, that some people call baiting. To me to bait, sound like your luring an animal in for a kill which is never the case.

Trying to discredit people on Facebook or threaten or bully people by posting names of good photographers on social media sites because they are making a few dollars sounds more like jealousy than anything else.

I use to post here, and may do so again in the future...

Lets all enjoy the art of photography, and if people could mind their own business the world would be a better place.

Nuff said.. Mike
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:38 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Interesting to see all Canadians commenting on this thread...it is against the law in the US and the bird treaty is given the reason (no harassing raptors) which Canada is also a signatory.
Topic Locked  

by baldsparrow on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:59 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Interesting to see all Canadians commenting on this thread...it is against the law in the US and the bird treaty is given the reason (no harassing raptors) which Canada is also a signatory.
Probably because it is rarely enforced here in Canada. Why? Because the wildlife enforcement people need to know what is happening, where it is happening and with evidence that will allow them to take action ... they don't get that as they can't be everywhere at once and so rely on illegal or inappropriate baiting etc being reported to them, something which tends not to happen. People who feel baiting is inappropriate need to tell the authorities and provide evidence rather than vent on the internet - venting just produces self justification in response and nobody wins, least of all the birds.

http://www.ofo.ca/site/page/view/articles.birdlaws

This link is interesting (https://meadowhawk.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/great-gray-owls-in-ottawa-baiting-and-abetting/) and I quote the following: "[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Deb and I left after that as we both felt soiled by what we had observed and didn’t want to see any more. Instead of being able to quietly enjoy watching the owls in a natural setting, behaving as wild owls do, I felt as though we had attended a photo shoot where the owls had been turned into trained performers that existed only for the photographers’ gratification. This cheapened my entire experience with the owl. [/font][font=Verdana, sans-serif]"[/font]
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:32 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Interesting to see all Canadians commenting on this thread...it is against the law in the US and the bird treaty is given the reason (no harassing raptors) which Canada is also a signatory.

Mike, are you sure?  I think people do it in Wisconsin and it is not illegal.  They tried to pass something into law but it ended up going nowhere. 
Topic Locked  

by EGrav on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:40 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
It is not illegal in US - but it is not allowed in national parks (eg Yellowstone, etc.)
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:43 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
OntPhoto wrote:

Mike, are you sure?  I think people do it in Wisconsin and it is not illegal.  They tried to pass something into law but it ended up going nowhere. 
I know it is in Oregon and Federal law is what counts....of course it needs to be challenged in the courts for a definitive federal ruling.   The midwest much like the south seem to beat to their own drummer They hunt Cranes for instance calling them skinny chickens.
Topic Locked  

by EGrav on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:19 pm
EGrav
Forum Contributor
It is not illegal to feed owls in the US except in National Parks. It is illegal to bait owls for the purpose of capturing or killing them. If that has changed, please point out the pertinent law.
Topic Locked  

15 posts |