http://deadzonesinoceans.weebly.com

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2010/03/12/a ... te-change/

Smithsonian study says nearly all Dead Zones will increase by end of century:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... 82/?no-ist
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:15 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
We in Oregon have been experiencing dead zones off the coast but the models explained in your links don't tell the whole story. The continental shelf off the west coast is very narrow compared the east coast. The deep water needs the strong winds of winter to bring water from the depths to the shelf and replenish the oxygen supply. This upwelling is what the Pacific coast waters are dependent upon from the tiniest bacteria to the Blue Whale. This latest El Nino so far has been beneficial to the Northwest with strong constant winds, it will be interesting to see if the jetstream swings south and give California a break though their arid climate can't absorb the strong rains that the Northwest is used too.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:43 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:We in Oregon have been experiencing dead zones off the coast but the models explained in your links don't tell the whole story.  The continental shelf off the west coast is very narrow compared the east coast.  The deep water needs the strong winds of winter to bring water from the depths to the shelf and replenish the oxygen supply.  This upwelling is what the Pacific coast waters are dependent upon from the tiniest bacteria to the Blue Whale.  This latest El Nino so far has been beneficial to the Northwest with strong constant winds, it will be interesting to see if the jetstream swings south and give California a break though their arid climate can't absorb the strong rains that the Northwest is used too.
Yes, I know that is right.  What you wrote is very interesting.  I need to learn more about this.  From one of the images that I believe was in one of those links, the East coast is obliterated with dead zones.  I did not know that.

I am bracing for one thing over here Mike.....I believe the already small range of the American Lobster (Homeras americanus) is probably going to recede northward from Maine coastal waters.  .Very bad news for Maine lobsterman.  Of course they already know they are going to be losers in the Global Warming thing.  I wonder how long it will take.

Of courses, this species of lobster has other habitat requirements of which I do not know, otherwise it would be along Pacific NW waters and Alaskan waters.   

And I am not trying to posture myself as a Marine Biologist.  But what restricts it to just the very northern parts of the eastern seaboard are cold temperatures.  And we are already seeing the influx of invasive marine species here....BECAUSE the waters are warming.  As you know, it does not take much.

DXO Optics Pro
BTW, the DXO Optics Pro 10 Elite program that you recommended turned out to be a super program.   I purchased it and I love it!

Thank you.
Robert
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:30 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Good that you got a program to your liking. Believe it or not, the currents off N.Americas west coast are much colder than off the east coast (the gulf stream) and the only places that the eastern lobster will grow is the outflows of power plants. Atlantic lobsters were put into San Diego bay many years and I believe they still persist or at least did until they they closed the south bay power plant. Also, they stuck blue crabs in the bay for the poor people and they are there by the millions. Of course no one can eat them because of the polluted environment. Speaking as a west coaster, our cold water Spiney lobsters and Dungeness crab will out do the eastern plants any day. :)
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:43 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
 Fascinating.

Dungeness?  I gotta look up this one! :)

Blue crabs are not nice at all, well, maybe only as redfish bait.  Let's put it this way:  Don't ever go skinny dippin  in those blue crab waters. :D   

Yuh, I knew your West Coast waters are cold.  But I am going to look into the temps after that claim. :) 
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:46 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
yuh, ok, and you only have to crack open about a hundred of those dungeness to get a meal.  these maine lobsters are Bruisers! :)
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:43 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Those D. crab will feed 2 or if you are a pig 1 will do you, What is a shame is that the preferred bait for the crab pots are Razor clams (they are worth more per pound than the crabs) My favorite hangover meal for the New Year breakfast is a crab omelet with 2 or 3 razor clams and a Bloody Mary ummm.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:35 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Sounds tasty :)

BTW, I should rather say that Blue crabs are just very defensive.  Of course this is subjective:  I would say the Blue crab is more defensive than the Eastern Diamondback or Cottonmouth, but I do not consider either of them as aggressive.  IMO the Blue Crab is so defensive to be considered aggressive.  They use those pincers stiletto-style but would rather use them to muckle onto any appendage that gets too close to their nasty temperament....LOL....toes, feet, anything!   

Boy do I miss my girlfriend and I during those times....in those Florida waters.  Should have married her.  She knew the ocean so well, grew up in it in the 50's and taught me about it in the 90's.  I miss you Diana!  

Just discovered on the net that Blue crabs are up here now.  They never were. 

Are we talking about the same critter?  this is the Blue Crab I am talking about ([font=arial, sans-serif]Callinectes sapidus)?[/font]

Come to see it, we must not be, because another name for it here is the Atlantic Blue Crab. 
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:02 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Blue crabs were purposely put into San Diego bay by some Calif. game official They are now an invasive species with the green crab from the Western Pacific. The only fish that were introduced were the Brown Trout ( Oregon has removed all limits on them) and Stripe Bass where Southern Oregon is as far north that they have able to breed and then only successful every few years. They do grow big in the Umpqua, Smith River, many over 50 lbs. on their spawning runs.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:31 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Yup, Brownies are here too, but not looked at with scorn. If you are a purist troutist (LOL), you might look down at Browns. Otherwise, you pursue them. Yes, I think they come from Germany don't they? They've been in these parts since I think the 1800's. So they are not native but when I was big time freshwater fisherman around here I went after them if I could. Depending on the waters, they can get quite large.

Hmm, a game official deliberately dropping an exotic in native waters? Sounds way off to me. Never heard of that happening here. How did that happen?

Stripers are a very highly desirable fish here....and delicious. They get this far north only by June and stay only a couple of months.
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:17 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Up until recent (the 80's), a game officer looked down on the natives as inferior and sought the world for exotic species that would "enhance" the outdoorsman experience. Pheasants 1st successfully introduced in Oregon in the 1800's while letting the Passenger pigeon go extinct was the norm. Many varieties of partridges were introduced but still our native grouse are in trouble...2 (the sharptail and sage) are fighting for their existence. As for the Blue Crab intro, the Vietnamese were hungry and this happened when the welfare queen idea was popular and state thought they could feed themselves with this exotic. Times have changed a bit and now people are wondering what is going to happen with this Collard Dove invasion. But the hunt for Band Tailed pigeons goes on as the population drops.
Topic Locked  

11 posts |