Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 1 post | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:21 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Like many of you, I've been especially busy lately.  Have not had time to participate, except by scanning all of your postings.

Anyway, I do have to post this.  It illustrates one of the points I will keep going back to.

I think the biggest problem with our federal agencies (at least here in U.S. and I'm sure everywhere) is accountability, AT OR NEAR THE TOP.

As the attack on the Biosphere increases, we can be sure to see increased attacks at the very top of agencies that we once trusted and depended upon.

In the field of Wildlife Conservation, there is little more needed in the way of radio collar studies, food habit analyses, habitat suitability indices, foraging habitat analyses and the like.....Whew!   Yes, you can see how unnecessarily complex it all can be.   Fancy titles for studies that determine what the animal eats and where it lives.  

Over the decades, wildlife agencies have already collected ALL this data (to make quality decisions) on ALL the native species.  In fact, they are saturated with this data.  And they also do a great job of networking all this data.  But of course the colleges continue to pump out students with that latest wildlife sampling and wildlife monitoring techniques.   It's a business.  

As you already know, the problems that cause the most impact on wildlife are skyrocketing human pop, political lobbying and now...corruption.

1.  The Endangered Species Act has been attacked numerous times in just the last few years.   That is a big increase.  And the attacks are going to be relentless.  I have beat this drum over and over again.  As the Biosphere "shrinks", the demands on it increase, the demands on it are going to increase dramatically.  

It's my guess that most folks do care.   But they do not care as much as the guy who is trying to make it big in the land "development" (oxymoron) business, who is quietly doing whatever he can to get around laws meant to protect wildlife.  After all, what is more important to him, the wildlife or what he wants for himself and his family?  

The attack is relentless.  Just listen to Limbaugh and Beck sometime.  I am shocked and angered at once.  And our adversaries in Congress attach riders on bills in their attempts to weaken the ESA.

Question:  We have Limbaugh and Beck who are arguing against anything to do with conservation.  Why is there not money for a wildlilfe conservation radio station....or better yet, a Biosphere Conservation radio station?  Why?  Can anyone answer this please?

And as I've said before (actually my best friend made point #1..and he is right):

Congress would have been wiser to name it the Endangered Habitat Act (or Endangered Wildlife Habitat Act).  And the reason for this (I think you all know) is that if any species has the sufficient habitat, we will have the species.  The species doe not become endangered until man has taken most of its home away from it.

Can you imagine that?:  We share this Biosphere with humans who feel it is their right to actually destroy all that remains of a species home so that these humans can increase their lot in life.   And for those of us who deeply love nature...what about us?  And the poor animals do not even know what is happening to them.  And the humans who do this are getting nastier and more aggressive at this. You should be outraged!  I am.

2.  The USFWS waits too long to list a species.  USFWS should have a gradient template to use just for the ESA.  But of course, the Service is virtually impenetrable and aloof.  You better believe it!

And that is why i respect the Center for Biological Diversity.

3.  And now, are we seeing corruption at the top of the USFWS ?

Honestly, I have only skimmed this article that my best friend sent me.  A few of you may want to dissect it and comment.  And believe me, if Joe or WD, Paul or any of the rest of you would decide to analyze it and make your comment.....I will be all ears.  I do want to know what you think.

Thanks

Robert :)
Topic Locked  

1 post |