« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:22 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
There's a thing in nature we call perodicity.  Plants exhibit it as they bloom and bud in response to length of day, temperature and/or moisture and possibly other factors.  

Here in southern Maine I have been seeing Dandelions blooming in these first few December weeks of 2015.

And this morning we noticed that an exotic woody bush is budding, just as it does each spring.  

What changes in nature have you been seeing in the areas you live in?

Robert
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:15 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Tons of changes around here! The Siberian Elms are already releasing pollens that normally used to be released in February and then January as the years went by. We now have many species of birds present in Santa Fe and north central NM that used to be found in the lower elevations of southern NM. Orioles, thrashers, grackles, White-winged Doves, and Eurasian Doves are plentiful and, this year, several loons that are strangers to NM have been reported. We have even had Roseate Spoonbills, Brown Pelicans, Groove-billed Ani, terns and Sun Grebes in NM in recent years. The Purple Asters are still blooming and the apricot trees are just now shedding their leaves. Some plants are keeping their leaves through the winter. This morning, it is 48 degrees in my porch at a time of year when that would be an pleasant high temp (certainly not complaining about that!). Now when it snows, it usually melts off very quickly. Elk have taken over areas where Mule Deer were formerly the dominant large mammal. With the warmer temps, the migration of waterfowl has changed at times. I talked to a friend who is currently at Bosque for a workshop and he told me that there are not as many birds present as when he and I used to go there together several years ago. That can change overnight due to a cold front, but some of the birds stay farther north. There is no denying global warming, even if a person doesn't believe that it is human caused!!!!! The changes are very evident!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by Mark Picard on Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:54 am
Mark Picard
Forum Contributor
Northern Maine - global warming. The Moose population is on a downward spiral due to Winter Tick infestation. Instead of the tick falling on snowpack in April like usual and dying, they fall on bare ground leaf litter and live to mate again in the Summer, continuing the cycle. I personally see about a 90% reduction in the moose herd numbers since 2005. Quite a disturbing epidemic! :( :( :( 
Mark Picard
Maine Photography Workshops
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:34 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Oregon's big game is changing whether through nature or man...we have moose now, Mt. Goat (extinct since the 19th century) , 2 kinds of big horn sheep (gone naturally from diseases introduced with domestic sheep), Elk (2 races) are becoming more numerous while deer (white tail, mule, and blacktail) are having a much harder time. Pronghorn are increasing because of all the farming in the desert. The predators (wolf and cougar) are becoming more numerous. Wild Salmonids are being listed as ESA. Birds are responding to the warming climate as evidenced by the change in jay populations. Stellar and Clark's nutcrackers are in decline, while Scrub Jays (rare when I moved I moved to Oregon) are greatly increasing.
Topic Locked  

by baldsparrow on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:51 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
In Montreal it's a very mild 13C today with no sign of snow in the forecast ... normal for the time of year is COLD with a decent cover of snow. The squirrels are so fat, and still fattening, that their feet barely reach the ground. Some buds are breaking. Very abnormal.
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:03 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
baldsparrow wrote:In Montreal it's a very mild 13C today with no sign of snow in the forecast ... normal for the time of year is COLD with a decent cover of snow. The squirrels are so fat, and still fattening, that their feet barely reach the ground. Some buds are breaking. Very abnormal.

That fat will come in handy from this week onward.  Lot of snow coming tonight into Wednesday for Ottawa and Montreal.  More birds (maybe redpolls and siskins) will be coming to feeders now. The mild temps were great and sure enjoyed it while it lasted.     
Topic Locked  

by Tom Reichner on Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:23 pm
Tom Reichner
Forum Contributor
Here, it has been much colder than usual for this time of year. We usually have about 800 Canada Geese and a few thousand ducks that winter here in the valley. Due to the heavy snow, and the fact that the most of the rivers and all of the ponds and lakes are frozen over, the waterfowl were forced to leave. I am not sure where they went, but it is not their regular habit to need to move mid-winter. Usually, wherever they are come late November is where they have decided to stay for the winter. I don't imagine that there is any suitable habitat for them within a reasonable distance that it not already at its winter carrying capacity.
Wildlife photographed in the wild

http://www.tomreichner.com/Wildlife
Topic Locked  

by Steve Cirone on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:17 pm
Steve Cirone
Lifetime Member
Member #:00583
"That fat will come in handy from this week onward." I keep telling myself that.

DAILY IMAGE GALLERY:  https://www.facebook.com/steve.cirone.1

IMAGE GALLERY ARCHIVES WITH EXIF: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevecirone/
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:55 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
   :P   
Topic Locked  

by Jeff Colburn on Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:19 pm
Jeff Colburn
Forum Contributor
Northern Arizona - Less rain in winter and in the Monsoon season. Winters are warmer, as are summers. Seeing more Canadian Geese in migration season as they munch on grass. Summer seems to last longer too.

Have Fun,
Jeff
Fine Art Prints and Stock Photography of Arizona www.JeffColburn.com See my ebooks in the NatureScapes Store.
Topic Locked  

10 posts |