Moderator: Greg Downing

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by WDCarrier on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:09 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
To add to the discussions of the need to protect invasive wildlife species (e.g. wild horses and burros) I pose the following situation:  This morning I posted an image of a Eurasian collared dove on the birds gallery.  Obviously a strikingly pretty species, I question the effects of its taking over habitats formerly occupied by native species (mourning dove), directly competing with them and, being larger and more aggressive, eliminating them from the local ecosystem.

In 2001 I moved to the Sierra foothills and set up my bird feeders.  At that time the oaks surrounding the property were nesting and roosting sites for many species, including several mourning doves.  In the fall the numbers of this species grew due to their migration from higher elevations where snow prevented their locating food.  As many as 25 frequented the area under the feeders gleaning the seeds knocked out by the passerines.

Beginning in 2012 I saw my first Eurasian collared dove, initially mistaking it for a band-tailed pigeon (which do winter in our area) due to its size.  Realizing it was a collared dove, I watched it, trying to capture an image but it was very spooky.  In 2013 there was a pair coming in fairly regularly.  In 2014 there were 3-4 pairs, most roosting in the trees where the mourning doves had been but there were fewer and fewer of the latter.  This winter there is a flock of at least 24 and no mourning doves.  They clean off the feeding area in a short time leaving little for the native passerines that winter here.

I surmise the collared doves are competing in the niche formerly occupied by the mourning dove and that know that no two species can occupy the same niche.  I also realize that the ecosystem doesn’t care much as to the size, shape and coloration of a species, the only issue is its function.  So, I ponder these questions:
  • Does it matter in the long-term if the collared dove replaces the mourning dove?  (Their call is somewhat guttural and not pleasing like the mourning dove.)  I’ve never seen a live passenger pigeon and have suffered little because of it.
  • Did I contribute to this invasion by my feeders?  Do the local farmers?
  • What additional effects might this have on other native species?

Personally, I’m on the side of the mourning dove as I feel the system worked pretty well when it was the sole dove here but I much doubt there’s anything I can do to alleviate the issue.  Maybe if I stopped feeding the collared doves would go elsewhere and some of the mourning doves would return, but I doubt it as they would just invade new territory and/or limit their numbers to the available feed.  Or, I could just shoot the collared doves but I fear the California Department of Wildlife would gleefully have me arrested.

We’ve sure screwed up the system and continue to do so!
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:48 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
I wouldn't worry too much...we have lots of Collared doves and Mourning doves in Central Oregon and they occupy different habitats. Very rare to find a C. dove away from town (they are really adapted to living with people, like Rock pigeons). They also seem less predisposed to migrate than mourning doves, so their numbers may seem higher than M. doves at certain times of the year. Cooper's Hawks seem to have developed a great fondness for them (there are reports locally of expensive windows being broken by the C. doves in their escape). They sure are hard to photograph, very skittish unless sitting on power lines.
Topic Locked  

by WDCarrier on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:53 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:I wouldn't worry too much...we have lots of Collared doves and Mourning doves in Central Oregon and they occupy different habitats.  Very rare to find a C. dove away from town (they are really adapted to living with people, like Rock pigeons).  They also seem less predisposed to migrate than mourning doves, so their numbers may seem higher than M. doves at certain times of the year.  Cooper's Hawks seem to have developed a great fondness for them (there are reports locally of expensive windows being broken by the C. doves in their escape).  They sure are hard to photograph, very skittish unless sitting on power lines.
Maybe...but I live 10 miles from town and I've got images of collared doves from the blinds at Cabin Lake
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:49 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
They must have been visitors from that metropolis of Ft. Rock. They do have an open season for C. doves no limit but hunters complain they find them in only in the cities in huntable #'s.
Topic Locked  

4 posts |