« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:46 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
At a young 64 years of age, the world's oldest bird gets ready to lay another egg.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/11/30/at-the-ripe-age-of-64-wisdom-the-albatross-is-doing-the-unthinkable-preparing-to-lay-another-egg/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_sos-old-bird-810pm:homepage/story
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:42 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Very interesting…enough so that I sent this article to several friends.  I sure did not know this.  64 years old for a bird?  I wonder what allows that to happen.

Thank you
Robert
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:47 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Very interesting…enough so that I sent this article to several friends.  I sure did not know this.  64 years old for a bird?  I wonder what allows that to happen.

Thank you
Robert

It is a very rare occurrence obviously especially considering that most or the majority of that species "live" to half that age. Do female albatrosses generally reproduce until they die?  I am not sure if the egg laid from such a bird as Wisdom would be a viable one?  I am sure this question has been raised and answered by those who know better, can bird bands once attached, be tampered with? 
Topic Locked  

by pablo on Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:13 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
There is no senescence in birds, meaning that they do not enter into what might be called "old age" or senility. Just like a walnut, they keep on reproducing until death claims them.
Topic Locked  

4 posts |