« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:33 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
There are 5 states, including Maine, that allow the sale of the body parts of their native black bears to the entire world.  It is going to result in the desecration of our bears.  It's already happening.

http://www.endangeredspecieshandbook.or ... _bears.php

Asians believe that bear gall enhances male sexuality. Ok, so they also use it for a variety of medicinal purposes.  But one principle use it for sexual performance.  That is sick.

Bottom line (ultimately):   Old Eastern men pay bucks for the gall bladders of our Maine black bears, so that they can have better sex…or any sex at all :lol: .  Asia has severely depleted their own bear populations.  What animals are left are horribly kept in tight steel cages and "milked" for their entire life for the bile.  They cannot move at all and live in one position for the sole purpose of providing a fluid that enhances Asian men's sexuality.

This is so disgusting to be despicable.  

So now, and forever more, Asia is intensely focused on North America for bear body parts

Stimulated by SantaFe Joe's post over on the "Window Dressing" thread, I have decided to release the crux of what I have learned about Maine's black bear body parts market (ALL the body parts…including paws).   

So I excerpted a piece from the tiger link (about extinction driving prices up)  Joe posted in that thread.  Thanks again Joe.  Here is the excerpt.  It is about 2/3 of the way down the article.  

“More recently, they have moved from websites to social media,” Fei said, noting that ivory tusks, rhino horns, bear gall bladders, hornbill beaks, and other products now turn up for sale on art collection websites, online forums such as Baidu Tieba, the mobile phone app Wechat, and even Facebook."

Anyway….it exemplifies what I wanted to say about Maine's wildlife agency's (MDIFW) lack of mention of bear gall bladders during Maine's last bear referendum.  

Maine allows the sale of all black bear body parts…..without regard to the destination of those gall bladders.  

The sale of Maine bear body parts, fuels the Asian demand for more North American bear gall bladders.  It is a demand that we will find to be insatiable.

And regardless of how much you search, you will find little (if any at all) MDIFW-discussion regarding their stand on bear gall bladders….except that they allow their sale.

During Maine's Black Bear Referendum MDIFW did not want it known that they were allowing the sale of our native black bear (Ursus americana).  Why else would they not talk about it?  And they know that these gall bladders eventually reach the Asian market.  And it is probably the ONLY market there is for bear gall bladders.

Here are a couple of related links:   

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ade_2.html

http://www.bigwildlife.org/trafficking.php

I have a life-long friend who has killed several black bears over bait.  Roger rents small acreages of forest land, assuring that he is the only bear hunter in that area.  He told me that he sold one bear's gall bladder right there in the woods for $250.   These bladders have only one market, Asia.  And the demand is INTENSE and UNRELENTING….JUST LIKE SEX!  It is sick.

So you can see that MDIFW does not want to talk about the sale of bear gall bladders or paws….or any other bear body parts.

This is the tip of the iceberg.   Undoubtedly, there are bear poaching rings operating in North America right now.  All they have to do it take the entire bear, then all the evidence it gone.  Recently, I asked a young Maine Game Warden if he had any knowledge of bear poaching rings in Maine.  He replied that if he knew he would not tell me. 

The Asian human pop is increasing; over the centuries Asians have destroyed their own bear pops and they need a source of bears.  

North America has upwards of 3/4 million black bears.

http://www.defenders.org/black-bear/basic-facts

When I was working to help the referendum push, I interviewed several bear biologists.  One was former Maine bear biologist, Mr. George Matula.  He now teaches at Unity College in Maine.  To my surprise, George favors the current Maine bear hunting laws.  He characterized the current attitude toward the black bear simply as ……. "Bear farming."

Regarding the economics of Maine's bear hunt, here are the numbers current during "two referendums ago"…..in 2004.  And of course, the huge money illustrates that economics do not justify a matter, only the dependence on the money. 

http://www.mainebearbasics.com/bears_an ... conomy.php

At the time of the second referendum (2014), I also turned over to my Humane Society contacts, my short article that contained discussion, specifically of the gall bladder.  It was the ONLY discussion anywhere about the gall bladder market.  It never made it to press and so nothing was brought to the Maine public's attention on the sale of gall bladders.  Part of the reason my short opinion did not make press was that the intensity of public opinion clogged the media.

What are your thoughts anyway ?  Your opinion is as good as mine and may totally differ.  George's and Gerry's do.

Robert 
http://itsaboutnature.smugmug.com

Last edited by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:35 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
You Easterners seem to be at war with your little remaining wildlife...bear farming, that is a new one for me. We Westerners have a lot more bears and in Oregon it is illegal to sell parts (a lot of poaching though), the main reason to kill them is that they hurt the timber industry. Actually the main reason to kill them is just like the Asians do, lack of manhood that the deceased animal passes on to his slayer.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:58 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Bear populations by state:

http://www.blackbearsociety.org/bearPop ... State.html

But these numbers are not current.  Maine's pop has increased and surely a few others have too.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:11 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Bears strip the bark from fir trees, especially Doug fir (a western fir), to reach the sap, which they relish.  

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=be ... +fir+trees

They strip Balsam firs (the traditional Xmas tree here) in Maine too, but not nearly to the extent they do Douglas Fir in Pacific Northwest.

Diagnostic characteristic of Balsam fir:  Pitch bubbles on the bark…….

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2oEs5jf2a3M/T ... st+pop.jpg

Push into them with your thumb or just cut them with your finger nail; they burst with pitch and the strong smell of an Xmas tree.  :wink:

Last edited by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:09 am, edited 8 times in total.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:14 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Is Oregon poaching rooted in Asian demand for black bear body parts?  It is not lumbers companies.  They have legal rights to take nuisance bears.   Again, Asians have destroyed the bear populations over there and Asians are now in a relentless pursuit of North American black bears….dead ones….dismembered ones.  

Bear poaching by Asian rings is likely to be more prevalent than we North Americans know yet.  

And Oregon is closer to Asia than we are Mike.  So your abundance of Oregonian Black Bears is a honey-hole for these devils.

I'll bet you could go right through customs with bear gall bladders by telling them it is something other than what it is.  We have not caught onto the devils yet.

A single bear gall bladder sells for say $50 to $300 here, in the woods.  Over there, it sells from say $1500 to almost $50,000 !    

Check it out Mike.  

Behind drug trafficking,wildlife poaching has become the second most profitable criminal activity in the entire world.

Last edited by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:29 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Yes Mike, I am one who is at war, FOR our remaining wildlife.  I regret not starting decades earlier and now, not diving in headfirst.

When considering America alone (not Canada), just look at the juxtaposition of Maine's remaining forest to the metropolis to the south.  And when one adds that over 90% of Maine's forest is privately owned, the likely scenarios are scary.  

It's crunch time in the East Mike.

But it is coming your way Mike.  And let's not forget, you complain about the Pacific Northwest issues that bother you; i.e. salmon/cormorant issue, Safe Grouse, etc.

And you should continue because it is just going to get worse.  Someone has to fight for wildlife, because habitat is ever-disappearing to feed human demands and the vast majority of people simply do not care.  If they could actually see it, many more would care….especially the women, because for some reason it seems that women are more sensitive to these things.  

Someone has to scream from the highest hills.  Someone has to be looked at as the nut.  I don't mind.  

An apropos Thoreau quote.

Was Thoreau considered a nut then ?  Undoubtedly!!

But I think…..we are at least beginning to see that it is the human race that is insane.  

WE ARE DESTROYING THE BIOSPHERE.  NO, IT IS NOT GOING TO BE THE END OF THE WORLD.  BUT IT IS GOING TO BE THE END OF NATURE IN THE WILD.

And it is going to continue to whittle away at Oregon too Mike.  In probably less than a century, the PNW will look like the East does now….unless the masses get together and get proactive.
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:17 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
It is coming to the NW but at least a lot of our land is publicly owned which allows the public a seat at the table. I am off to San Diego today and hopefully will be sitting in the sunshine (it is looking like a normal winter here).
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Do you suspect that Oregon poaching might be rooted in Asian demand for black bear body parts?

What do you think is the root of the poaching. Poaching is not something that is talked about here. That does not mean it does not exist. I just do not know.

But you did say that Oregon has a problem with poaching. Why?
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:37 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
See, you are separating the East from the West.  I am not.  

We are in this together Mike.  I believe it is WE who have a problem.  If Asian-connected black bear poachers are here in North America….and I know they are….we need to push to have them routed out.  

You just said that Oregonians have a seat at the table because it is public land.  I hope when you get back from your time in the Sun that you do some snooping around on this.  

Have fun Mike. :)
Topic Locked  

9 posts |