« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:20 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/world ... .html?_r=0

Excerpts: 

“People kill elephants so the ivory becomes more valuable, which will make people live better and happier,” said the owner of the Zhenguan Hall ivory shop in Shanghai, refusing to give his name. “Elephants die anyway. If they become extinct it really doesn’t matter.”

"Despite China’s pledge that a temporary ban will help the government assess its benefits, Ms. Suresh and other wildlife advocates voiced concern.

"They fear that the Chinese government, which has openly called for relaxing international ivory trade limits, will use the yearlong moratorium as an excuse to say a ban failed to stop poaching and then call for the reopening of the international trade in ivory at the next major Cites conference, to be held in 2016."

China will not totally ban ivory.  It is becoming clear to me that China has no intention of stopping the slaughter of elephants.  I trust nothing China says...nothing.  I so hope i am wrong on this one.

Forty, thirty...or even as few as 20 years ago, I never would have believed that one day I would come to realize that the human race is this destructive, this selfish, this evil. 

It is incomprehensible to me that a culture would willfully slaughter a living, breathing species to extinction, just for the right to possess inanimate, dead artifacts carved from the animal's body parts.  

I am afraid that the Chinese culture is most capable of this.

OR.......

http://uk.blastingnews.com/world/2015/1 ... 18901.html

There may be reason for great hope.  If it comes, it will be through education.  Yao Ming is working to change the minds of the Chinese people.  

We will see. 

Robert King

Last edited by Blck-shouldered Kite on Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Topic Locked  

by whitehead on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:40 pm
whitehead
Forum Contributor
To get an insight into how China internal "politics" can actively work against conservation efforts I strongly recommend anyone to read................

For Blood of the Tiger: J A Mills

its fascinating and a rare insight.
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:23 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here's something disturbing:

http://www.takepart.com/feature/2015/03 ... ers-rhinos

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by fredcor on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:04 pm
fredcor
Lifetime Member
Member #:00186
Greed will justify anything, yes, anything!
Frederick Lat Correa
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:05 am
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Yes, thanks for this article too Joe.  Chilling, tragic.  

In a previous thread, didn't several of us touch on the inherent conflict of capitalism and nature ?  I think we agreed that capitalism has shown itself to be a very nature-destuctive force.  

In capitalism, the price of a commodity is directly related to its scarcity.  

Please, anyone reading this and disagreeing, I (for one at least) do welcome your point of view, because if we attack you, we learn nothing of how to improve or change for the good.  I really am trying to understand and change myself.

Through the years…..

I always held hope (even believed) that one day man would see that he was inexorably assuring the complete destruction of wild nature and that he certainly would eventually reverse his destructive ways. 

But just in the last few years I began to wonder…."could greed be so powerful to cause the greedy, power people in Eastern countries such as China to want for the extinction of a species in order to drive up the value of its parts (thinking about the horrible plight of the elephant) ?    

I am beginning to believe that this chilling scenario may (could) be likely.    

It is doubtful America or any other country could sway China's mindset regarding this….if it is actually true.  Maybe a group of countries could, but not just any single country.  

Joe, I read your article to my best friend.  When I started to get into the Tiger Blood Wine he interrupted, telling me to go ahead, but that he really did not even like hearing such things.  Tom is a Conservation Biologist dealing with real problems every day.  If he has trouble with this, how can I expect the average person to even begin to listen?

I have not read the book Mr. Whitehead suggests.  But after I write this I think I will look into ordering the audio of it. 

Now, an excerpt from your link-article has provoked me to release a post on Maine fish and wildlife agency and black bear body parts. 

Thanks again for sharing the truth.
Topic Locked  

5 posts |