« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:28 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A court has stricken protections for the Lesser Prairie Chicken in a ruling on Tuesday, bowing to the oil and gas industry and ranchers. The population is down 99% since the 1800's.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/l ... 13412.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by bradmangas on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:31 pm
bradmangas
Forum Contributor
It saddens me almost as much as it angers me when I see blatant disregard for nature be it wildlife or natural areas. Being a trained Docent at Konza Prairie which is owned by The Nature Conservancy and managed by Kansas State University I have become well aware of the threats that face both the Lesser Prairie Chicken as well as the Greater Prairie Chicken. I have no answers and I know that anger will not result in the changes that need made. When those who have the ability to legally allow destruction of natural resources, in this case The Lesser Prairie Chicken, there really seems to be only one way to combat such a thing. Relentless education of the uninformed as to why these things should matter. 
This is not the place for me to ramble on about the benefits of Lesser Prairie Chicken, most here are of the mind that to intentionally destroy such things is wrong and should not be allowed. I will save my efforts for more prevalent venues. I would encourage anyone who feels they would like to make a difference to first educate yourself as to the facts of that which you feel strongly. Then find positive ways to interact with the public, such as a Docent Program. Then carry the message of what you know to be honest and relevant information to that public. You may think you can't make a difference but I know from experience, the education of one person can make a life long impact. That impact can then can be carried forward to others.

“Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish been caught, and the last stream poisoned, will we realize we cannot eat money.”
― Cree Indian Prophecy
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:39 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I agree with you, Brad. The frustration comes into play even more when they do things like what I posted about Mountain Lions a couple of days ago. It sometimes feels like a lost cause when big corporations and special interests throw so much money and effort into fighting for their cash cow!!! The propaganda is disheartening!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

3 posts |