All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 7 posts | 
by Gary Briney on Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:30 pm
Gary Briney
Lifetime Member
Member #:00336
Another reminder -- when you became a member of NSN, you agreed to the Terms of Use. This also means you agree to abide by the Guidelines

"...2. Acceptance; Amendments.

Your use of the Website indicates your agreement that these Terms of Use and the Website Privacy Policy govern your license to access and use the Website and materials posted on the Website. We may change these Terms of Use and/or any of our Website policies at any time by posting revisions to the Website. If you make use of the Website after any changes are posted, that use shall constitute your acceptance of each revised Website policy. If you do not agree to the terms of these Terms of Use or any revised Website policy, you must exit the Website immediately..."
G. Briney

by Mike in O on Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:32 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Gary, I think a simple solution would be to change the forum title to "government initiatives to improve conservation and how it impacts photographers".

by pleverington on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:12 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
Gary Briney wrote:Another reminder -- when you became a member of NSN, you agreed to the Terms of Use. This also means you agree to abide by the Guidelines

"...2. Acceptance; Amendments.

Your use of the Website indicates your agreement that these Terms of Use and the Website Privacy Policy govern your license to access and use the Website and materials posted on the Website. We may change these Terms of Use and/or any of our Website policies at any time by posting revisions to the Website. If you make use of the Website after any changes are posted, that use shall constitute your acceptance of each revised Website policy. If you do not agree to the terms of these Terms of Use or any revised Website policy, you must exit the Website immediately..."
Maybe you should quote the guidelines you feel are a problem as the list is long and your non descript reminder void of specifics spells out nothing. What's the problem? Quote the actual guideline that you feel is relevant would be the simple thing to do..I mean if a cop stopped you and gave you a ticket for "not following the law" wouldn't you be entitled to know which law you supposedly broke?? stop sign, red light, speeding.......

By the way...question....under number 8:

"Further, we do not, as an ordinary practice, monitor the communications of Website users to ensure that they comply with these Terms of Use or applicable law"

Does this mean you guys can, if you choose, listen in on our private messages?

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"

by pleverington on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:08 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
I also can't find the guidelines that says anything political or religious is forbidden...
Paul Leverington

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:14 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Right here, Paul:

http://www.naturescapes.net/information ... uidelines/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by pleverington on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:20 am
pleverington
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Right here, Paul:

http://www.naturescapes.net/information ... uidelines/

Joe
Thanks Joe.

My next question would be is mentioning a politician and his/or her stance on nature issues say, or even the rarer case where some nature photography related thing is in jeopardy, is this verboten. I  guess  I'm looking at  that as info  or heads  up. A discussion, by definition, involves more than this-like two or more people discussing political positions and ideals. Takes more than one person to have a discussion. And as I have previously pointed out just a passing on of a fact about where some politician stands or political party stands on some particular issue relating to nature that then can relate to our photography is not the same.

I understand the generosity extended to allow expanded discussion of the marginally qualified subjects, and that there are certain subjects everyone just wants to avoid due to their volatile nature. I get that. But these guidelines are formulated to avoid the out of control, caustic, and whatever else type of nasties from happening. IOW's it's not the politics or religion as subjects themselves that are the problem, it's the usual resultant headaches that follow when people all think they're right and others are wrong. But we aren't doing any of that in the forums. We all are behaving very well in my view. So why interfere and create a problem with heavy handed monitoring and enforcement when there is no problem whatsoever by anyone, and choosing to only see the "letter of the law" and ignore the inherent purpose of those letters which is to avoid mayhem. Again... this just doesn't happen here does it?  You have to go way back to find any volatile threads in the forums. One just shouldn't fix things if they are not broken.

Now what's this say about things:

http://www.naturescapes.net/forums/view ... 3&t=246645

People need to be asked to comment? I see this as telling of deeper problems, like not fostering a more interactive forum.  It looks like the "atta boys" and "nice going good shot" kind of rhetoric has lost it's luster..kind of worn out. I mean still good, but with little else gets a bit repetitive to say the least. And that loses one's interest. By guide-lining to the point where no one will say anything that could be possible construed as frictional or controversial, truthful commentary is not made a lot of times and that truthfulness is what people really need. I'm not advocating people hurt others feeling, but if a forum is set up to welcome that in depth and honest critique with that being the stated goal, people will accept it all and run with it.  Maybe as is we are all supposed to be so polite that honest critique has been seriously compromised.

It's pitiful to have to beg people to make comments. This tells me there IS indeed a problem and that the powers that be just don't get it. I've said before the site just like any other entity must grow and evolve. To maintain it without doing this might be in the least limiting it's potential.

Paul
Paul Leverington

by Greg Downing on Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:54 pm
Greg Downing
Publisher
Member #:00001
Dear Paul,

I was going to post this as a private message but people might wonder why this thread would otherwise go unanswered by me. Today my time is limited as I'm supposed to be breaking in the midst of an 18 hour workshop day. Hence I have not had time to read every word of what has been written here and in other recent threads but Gary has filled me in as best he can.

I have also made it a little more clear to Gary how I personally interpret the guidelines when it comes to politics, which is what he is referring to... and I have asked him to let some things go - as you indicated we are very "generous" with these guidelines and much can be interpreted from them. Bottom line is that there is no intention to be heavy handed and we do let a lot of things slide as long as everyone remains civil and professional. But that does not mean we won't remind people when they are trying to dance the line as many (perhaps yourself included) often do.

With regards to the plea for comments. Every specialty photo sharing website has had discussions about the number of comments vs number of views. There are tons of sites that plea for comments - some even have a quota before you can even post again. We don't do that..The fact of the matter is most people look but don't bother to comment. And that is ok but we encourage comments. The other fact is that the internet is overwhelmed with places to share so there is MUCH fragmentation....

YOU said: "but if a forum is set up to welcome that in depth and honest critique with that being the stated goal, people will accept it all and run with it."

That is EXACTLY our setup.... "to welcome that in depth and honest critique" - by reminding people to comment we are simply encouraging it....

"This tells me there IS indeed a problem and that the powers that be just don't get it."

Perhaps I'm missing entirely what I/we are supposed to be getting but I think I cleared up the question on the subject of this post. PLEASE PM me if you wish to let me know what I "don't get" but let's not get argumentative here - THAT is exactly the sort of issue we are trying to reduce.....

See the other thread here for a little more info on how I interpret the political discussions... Subject: Note to all posters in EC&E

Thread Closed
Greg Downing
Publisher, NatureScapes.Net
[url=http://www.gdphotography.com/]Visit my website for images, workshops and newsletters![/url]

7 posts |