« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 15 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:57 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/ ... MD20141018

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:29 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
If you want to see them before they go extinct, the San Diego Wild Animal Park has two.
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:51 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Mike,

Please, I mean no insult intended toward you my friend, but I am not at all interested in seeing the last living animal of any species.   It is too saddening.

The very fact that the human race continues to selfishly destroy species to the point of extinctions, is appalling.  

It is outrageous that these poachers are included among humans.  

[Moderation by NSN editor to remove a comment that was contrary to NSN guidelines. Poster requested to self-edit but did not do so.]

Robert King
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:09 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
When rhino horns sell for $65,000 per kg in Asia, you can imagine that money is the driving force behind poaching! Even if the poachers only see a fraction of that amount, it's still far more than they would earn doing a legitimate job, if they can find one in these impoverished countries. Hunger and poverty are mighty strong driving forces! Many poachers may not even be aware of the plight of these animals because of ignorance and lack of education. I blame the large buyers who create the market for horns and the gullible customers who think that rhino horns will benefit them in some selfish way.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
Topic Locked  

by Royce Howland on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:51 am
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Robert, please edit your post to remove your final sentence. It is not in keeping with NSN guidelines. The terms of posting on NSN require us all to maintain a friendly and courteous level of discussion. You're free to speak with passion and to hold whatever personal opinions you wish. However, posting comments that advocate violence regardless of the cause is not in line with the tone or content we wish to maintain for the forums. Thanks for taking care of this in a timely fashion.
Royce Howland
Topic Locked  

by Mike in O on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:10 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Mike,

Please, I mean no insult intended toward you my friend, but I am not at all interested in seeing the last living animal of any species.   It is too saddening.

The very fact that the human race continues to selfishly destroy species to the point of extinctions, is appalling.  

[Moderation by NSN editor to remove a comment that was contrary to NSN guidelines. Poster requested to self-edit but did not do so.]

Robert King

Robert, the zoo is freezing tissue for cloning; there may be a bit of hope to save the species.  Not to excuse poachers, but did you know one of the reasons Teddy Roosevelt started his ranch in South Dakota was to shoot the last of the Plains Buffalo and hang its head on his wall?  The US had the ultimate poaching operation, kill all the Bufffalo to commit genocide against the native people by starvation. 
Topic Locked  

by pleverington on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 pm
pleverington
Forum Contributor
In a way we are all poachers. We all are selling off or allowing others to sell off our natural world and heritage for profit. Because we don't see it all directly doesn't let us off the hook. We all know this. WE need to change. The more the better. A better philosophy that does not place human arrogance above the natural world is the drum I continue to beat.

Paul
Paul Leverington
"A great image is one that is created, not one that is made"
Topic Locked  

by Blck-shouldered Kite on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:44 pm
Blck-shouldered Kite
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
Blck-shouldered Kite wrote:Mike,

Robert King

Robert, the zoo is freezing tissue for cloning; there may be a bit of hope to save the species.  Not to excuse poachers, but did you know one of the reasons Teddy Roosevelt started his ranch in South Dakota was to shoot the last of the Plains Buffalo and hang its head on his wall?  The US had the ultimate poaching operation, kill all the Bufffalo to commit genocide against the native people by starvation. 
Hi Mike,

Yes, that would be great if they could clone it.  

Did not know that about Roosevelt.   Humans can be, well…worse than sub-human.
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:09 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:If you want to see them before they go extinct, the San Diego Wild Animal Park has two.
One of the last ones just died:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/15/us/san-di ... homepage-t

Joe
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:39 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
More news:

http://news.yahoo.com/rare-white-rhino- ... 06498.html

Joe
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:06 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Efforts are made to protect the last of the Northern White Rhinos, but it's way too late to save them from extinction anymore.

http://mashable.com/2015/03/31/rangers- ... te-rhinos/

Joe
Topic Locked  

by OntPhoto on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:28 am
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Amazing. Look at this. Is this really the LAST male northern white rhino? How did it get to THIS point BEFORE they decided to have armed guards?

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/the-world-rallies-behind-the-last-male-northern-white-rhino/49328/

I'm trying to picture the discussions that must have been going on.  "What, we're down to only 10 male northern white rhinos?  Concerning but no emergency just yet. Let's wait until we are down to the very last one. Hope the poaching stops.". 

PS.  I am sure some of the remaining had died from natural causes (disease, old age) and they didn't wait until they were down to one.
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:34 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
One more down!!!! Pretty sad to count them down!!

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ext ... re-were-4/

Joe
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:59 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A new effort to save the species from extinction:

http://news.yahoo.com/six-rhinos-arrive ... 00081.html

Joe
Topic Locked  

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:00 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The countdown continues:

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/death-enda ... ree-world/

Joe
Topic Locked  

15 posts |