Ring-billed Gull, Edge of the Falls

Posted by Brandon Holden on Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:00 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 

Image Copyrighted by the Photographer.

Howdy Everyone,

I took this shot on the same Day when I spent some time trying to get a shot of a Gull in the Rainbow. Unfortunatley, the mist comming off the falls (which makes the rainbow) is very thick and I believe that adds to the grainy look of the photo. This one however, is about half way down the falls itself. Once again I'm interested to Hear what people think of this type of shot.

Cannon 10D, 100-400mm @ 400mm. F-5.6, 1/1500. ISO-400. Handheld. The picture is cropped a little bit. When you see the whole picture, with all the water, i feel it looks really good.

Thanks for taking the time to look!

Good Birding

Brandon Holden
Hamilton, Ontario
http://www.peregrineprints.com

Posted by:
Brandon Holden
Forum Contributor

by Harold Stiver on Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:05 am
Harold Stiver
Forum Contributor
I think you've done a good job in showing some of the overpowering presence of Niagara. It is certainly a difficult place to shoot with all of the mist, and at this time of year, you and your gear become icycyles.

Well done :D
Harold Stiver
Nature Notes

by Alan Murphy on Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:49 am
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
Brandon, This shows the power of the waterfall against this lone Gull. I would crop the right so the bird is in the right third of the frame, he's too centered. Cool shot.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by AlexC on Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:57 am
AlexC
Forum Contributor
Member #:00024
One is the loneliest number!!!

Image:
Brandon, could not tell at first glance it was the curtain of water from the falls, looked more like clouds to me than water, for the intended effect to work as desired, a sliver of the bottom impact of the falls, or the top of the fall is paramount to give it a sense of place and dimension, then the bird even if small in frame would fit perfectly, like in a sentence the word " Bird " most fit within the structure of the idea you want to convey!!.
Like:
The " Bird" flies at the edge/bottom of the Niagara Falls, playing with the updrafts and downdrafts created by the fall. 8)
[b]Alex Calzadilla[/b]
[b]Miami, Florida[/b]
[b]NSN-0024[/b]
"At the feast of ego everyone leaves hungry." - Bentley's House of Coffee and Tea, Tucson, AZ

by matt kuchta on Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:00 am
matt kuchta
Forum Contributor
I had a hard time reading this one too - I'd like more emphasis on the falls, but I don't mind so much the centered position of the bird.

I really like your idea of the bird through the rainbow too :)
-matt
NSN 0017

by Bill Whala on Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:47 pm
Bill Whala
Forum Contributor
I like the idea here. The bird against the water makes a powerful statement. If you have more opportunities to work this idea, try using a wider angle on your lens and get a bird that is closer to you. You can get more of the falls discernable in the photo and achieve the effect you want.
Bill Whala

"Aves of similar plumage tend to converge with one another"

6 posts |